Notifications - powered by Gritter - Crashes My Server

novice

Hello Everyone and Anyone that might be able to help with this.

I have already gone to the developer for support, and his only suggestion was for me to ask someone else, so here I am.

Basically my server runs fine with Xenforo and a host of addons.

When I enable Notifications by Gritter, my dedicated server crashes. CPU and memory use immediately climbs upward until it kills the server. When I disable the addon the numbers immediately go back down to normal.

The developer said that he has seen this before, and the person moved to a different shared hosting environment and all was well. That's not as feasible for me, especially considering that everything else on my server is working fine. I can edit server configuration settings, but no such suggestions were made.

Since this addon works for most everyone else, the developer doesn't seem too concerned about my issue. I do understand the frustration, having one person with a problem, but well ... being that person ... I just want to see if it can work for me like it does for everyone else that purchased it.

To the developer's credit, he did offer a refund, but I want the functionality instead.

Any ideas on how I can correct this, or what would cause this one addon to crash my server?

Thanks in advance.

novice

Hello Everyone and Anyone that might be able to help with this.

I have already gone to the developer for support, and his only suggestion was for me to ask someone else, so here I am.

Basically my server runs fine with Xenforo and a host of addons.

When I enable Notifications by Gritter, my dedicated server crashes. CPU and memory use immediately climbs upward until it kills the server. When I disable the addon the numbers immediately go back down to normal.

The developer said that he has seen this before, and the person moved to a different shared hosting environment and all was well. That's not as feasible for me, especially considering that everything else on my server is working fine. I can edit server configuration settings, but no such suggestions were made.

Since this addon works for most everyone else, the developer doesn't seem too concerned about my issue. I do understand the frustration, having one person with a problem, but well ... being that person ... I just want to see if it can work for me like it does for everyone else that purchased it.

To the developer's credit, he did offer a refund, but I want the functionality instead.

Any ideas on how I can correct this, or what would cause this one addon to crash my server?

Thanks in advance.

novice

I assure you Chris will be concerned and try to help you out with your issue. Have you even bothered asking for help in the add-on release thread? I don't and have never seen anyone having an issue with chris and getting support I'd strongly suggest you re=post your issue in the thread where the add-on is released.

I assure you Chris will be concerned and try to help you out with your issue. Have you even bothered asking for help in the add-on release thread? I don't and have never seen anyone having an issue with chris and getting support I'd strongly suggest you re=post your issue in the thread where the add-on is released.

I went to Chris first, and this was what he suggested I do.

Do you happen to have any ideas on how I can correct the problem?

I went to Chris first, and this was what he suggested I do.

Do you happen to have any ideas on how I can correct the problem?

I don't see any dialogue between you and chris in the add-on thread here.

Have you tried disabling each add-on one by one on the offchance another one of your installed add-ons are conflicting?

I don't see any dialogue between you and chris in the add-on thread here.

Have you tried disabling each add-on one by one on the offchance another one of your installed add-ons are conflicting?

Just because you don't see any dialogue, does not mean it didn't happen.

As described in the opening post, everything works fine until I enable this addon.

Any more suggestions?

Just because you don't see any dialogue, does not mean it didn't happen.

As described in the opening post, everything works fine until I enable this addon.

Any more suggestions?

Fix it yourself. speaking to me in that manner. May I suggest if you are needing help be a little more polite about it and a little less rude.

Fix it yourself. speaking to me in that manner. May I suggest if you are needing help be a little more polite about it and a little less rude.

I think it's you who is rude. My opening post and questions were very pointed, and you come running in acting as if I have done Chris some wrong, when he was the one that told me to post the thread. You're the one talking as if dialogue you know nothing about, could not have taken place (like you're the dialogue police or something). If you're suppose to be privy to all of his conversations, you need to take that up with him. Are you even a developer, with the capacity to actually troubleshoot this issue? I mean really ... jeez

I don't think he was too rude and he'd already explained that he'd spoken to Chris who couldn't help.

If the OP has any issues he should really be posting in the http://xenforo.com/community/resources/notifications-powered-by-gritter.870/

If he did talk to chris (I'm assuming you asked him in the shoutbox at xfshowcase? he was probably joking around or having a stab at humour. I dunno. Chris is still the best person to talk to about the issue your having and by posting in the add-on thread here I am sure he will help out as he's done for 100s of other people.

Thanks Paul,

Just to clarify...

I am a developer who has created a product which has been purchased by a large number of people without issue whatsoever over the course of the last year or so. With that in mind, the product is considered to be stable and bug free.

I have knowledge of one other customer experiencing similar issues but this guy was on (by his own admission) a crap shared host with other issues and he ultimately moved away so it was never a problem we ultimately needed to concern ourselves with. I'm not proposing this a viable solution.

Once again, I am a developer. I am not a server guy.

As a developer, I am comfortable that my add-on simply being enabled doesn't actually do anything that would cause this. My add-on only does anything once notifications have been configured, and even then, it shares a lot of similarities with the default Notices system (uses the same helper for criteria, etc.).

At a high level: You configure the notification in the Admin CP, this stores it in a database table, it then injects code into the template when criteria is matched.

With regards to me "not being concerned about the issue", I absolutely am. This is exactly why I suggested posting here. I can't start telling someone what logs to check, what settings to change because I have no idea.

So I feel this is the correct course of action to help get this issue resolved.

Thanks Paul,

Just to clarify...

I am a developer who has created a product which has been purchased by a large number of people without issue whatsoever over the course of the last year or so. With that in mind, the product is considered to be stable and bug free.

I have knowledge of one other customer experiencing similar issues but this guy was on (by his own admission) a crap shared host with other issues and he ultimately moved away so it was never a problem we ultimately needed to concern ourselves with. I'm not proposing this a viable solution.

As a developer, I am comfortable that my add-on simply being enabled doesn't actually do anything that would cause this. My add-on only does anything once notifications have been configured, and even then, it shares a lot of similarities with the default Notices system (uses the same helper for criteria, etc.).

At a high level: You configure the notification in the Admin CP, this stores it in a database table, it then injects code into the template when criteria is matched.

With regards to me "not being concerned about the issue", I absolutely am. This is exactly why I suggested posting here. I can't start telling someone what logs to check, what settings to change because I have no idea.

The way he described that you weren't concerned I assumed he hadn't exhausted all options. That being said, 100s of people have had zero issues here so I assume it'll be a server issue or settings somewhere and like yourself (I'm not a server person) perhaps and hopefully someone will know.

I was just trying to help.

Thanks Paul,

Just to clarify...

As I shared previously with you ... my experience has been ... if the creator / developer won't touch it ... nobody else will either.

But we are at Xenforo ... so maybe there's still hope.

Thanks for the response and suggestion to ask others.

As I shared previously with you ... my experience has been ... if the creator / developer won't touch it ... nobody else will either.

But we are at Xenforo ... so maybe there's still hope.

Thanks for the response and suggestion to ask others.

Have you tried speaking to Yorick about the Issue? :LOL: Bad sense of humour sorry.

Is it just one (1) "normal" notification you enable when the server crashes?

I don't have to have any notification actually enabled.

If I simply enable this addon via the control panel, server usage and memory immediately begins going up.

When I disable it, never actually enabling a notification, the numbers begin going down.

Thanks for your response.

Did the issue begin the very second the add-on was installed? Or have you already configured your Notifications? Also, what criteria does this Notification have?

If you cannot / won't (understandable) re-enable the add-on to check, feel free to post here a dump of the xf_notification database table.

EDIT: Another point... If you run the query: TRUNCATE xf_notification and enable the add-on do you experience the crash?

Eventually, try installing the addon at another test-xenforo install at the same server, and see what happens, just to debug. If the server still goes down, it is definitely server-related.

Top Bottom