Notices: User has not posted for at least X days

Exactly what I was looking for. Would be a great addition to the notices system.

I have been trying to recreate all of the notices from the vBulletin "Welcome Headers" plugin on my forum.

The only one that I can't currently recreate is..... "Hello {name}, it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution, or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?".

I'd like to have a feature similar to what's offered as a vBulletin product, where the system automatically sends email to Registered users who haven't posted within a set timeframe. This would, also, help you trim members whose email bounces, simply by having those bounced messages placed in, say, an Inactive folder.

Anyone working on anything of this sort? It helps bring back members who, for whatever reason, haven't visited the forum for a while.

This would be nice to invite users to Post again.

BUT remember that some users are read-only mode, they don't like to post. In our forum they are all day only reading things but never post.

This would be nice to invite users to Post again.

BUT remember that some users are read-only mode, they don't like to post. In our forum they are all day only reading things but never post.

I would use the "Notice may be dismissed" option for it. That way they can "X" out the notice after seeing it once and not constantly be annoyed by it if they really don't want to post. (y)

I wouldn't directly invite them to post, or even tell them that they didn't post for x-days. Comes of as begging and/or annoyance. You need to do it in a way that the user doesn't get the impression that you want them to do something, and somehow the user must feel that there is a reason to post, because there is an advantage over not posting.

The mod could still count the days, and show a message after x-days without posts. But instead of complaining to the user, why not kindly inform them of the benefits of posting?

I wouldn't directly invite them to post, or even that they didn't post for x-days. Comes of as begging and/or annoyance. You need to do it in a way that the user doesn't get the impression that you want them to do something, and somehow the user must feel that there is a reason to post, because there is an advantage over not posting.

The mod could still count the days, and show a message after x-days without posts. But instead of pointing the finger at the user, why not inform them of the benefits of posting?

Good suggestion. I am not really making a plugin/mod. I am just trying to copy the type of notices that were on my forum when it was running vBulletin with the "Welcome Headers" plugin. What I quoted above was just a default notice with the vB plugin. I would write something slightly different for my own site.

I have been able to recreate 3 out of the 4 notices so far....

1. Guests: Encourage to register/explain benefits. -Added
2. Unconfirmed: Explain the confirmation process/encourage to complete. -Added
3. Never posted: Encourage to make a first post/introduction. -Added
4. Post More Often: Encourage to post more often. - Need the option in the thread topic added to the notice system first.

Top Bottom