1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.1 Not sure how to title this one (2 accounts crossed)

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by Code Monkey, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Code Monkey

Code Monkey Well-Known Member

So today, I had a member, known for years, suddenly posting as another member, known for years. At first I thought they were goofing around. But they assured me something went wrong.

One member posted with his windows phone and it showed up as another members posts. That member had posted in the thread. Eventually the actual member came along, changed his password and the other member was back to normal.

Is there even any way for this to happen? Session issues? I got two members freaking out, one because the other had total access to his account.
  2. Code Monkey

That's was on 1.1.5 FYI
  3. Code Monkey

I also IP checked every post and went through every IP they ever used. One is in Australia and the other in the US. Which is where I know them to live.
  4. James

James Well-Known Member

This would be extremely hard to replicate, assuming you trust those users and they haven't been one person all along! :eek:

Have you got any add ons installed that manipulate users, such as login as user or quick user switch?
  5. Code Monkey

No, no user addons at all. I have never seen something like this before.
  6. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

I really don't know how this could happen. In theory, I suppose there could be a proxy that could be completely ignoring our "private" designation and serving the same results to each person (meaning that the session ended up being shared), but that'd be a huge issue and would come up elsewhere (and wouldn't be something we could do anything about). Of course, this would only work if the IPs were in the same subnet as sessions can't be shared otherwise...

Otherwise, I don't really see any way this can happen.
  7. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

This happened to me before when I used to run IPB. IRRC it was chalked up to a cache method used by the server which was problematic. I'm not sure how true that is, or if it could be something similar this time?
  8. Code Monkey

I'm using standard memcached
  9. Biker

Biker Well-Known Member

I've seen this happen with vBulletin 4 as well.
  10. Code Monkey

Sorry it was late. I didn't mean to put this in bug reports. I thought I was in xenforo discussion forum.

This is troubling to see that it's happened to others. I'll have to do more research.