1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not my site, but very impressed

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by cmeinck, Mar 3, 2014.

1. cmeinck

cmeinck Well-Known Member

I don't own this site. I bumped into it today via Twitter and was extremely impressed. It's got to be one of the cleanest XenForo designs to date.

2. mistypants

mistypants Well-Known Member

That's interesting that they're not using a node list and just displaying the threads -- a neat approach to the forum home, though it'd really only work for smaller boards.

It's a nice design too -- I was working on one rather similar to it at one point. I wonder if I still have the xml...

3. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

It's okay, but personally, it's too white and bland for my tastes.

4. AdamD

AdamD Well-Known Member

The word that springs to mind when I see it, is "Vanilla".
    It's very basic looking and bland, but, we all have different tastes.

wedgar likes this.
  5. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

I must say that I don't like this either. Too white and too minimalist for my liking.

I do hope they have purchased the branding free version too and haven't just removed the copyright notice.

Degrinch and Amaury like this.
  6. wedgar

wedgar Well-Known Member

:) Imagine if all of our forums looked similar? It could be like the IBM white shirt and blue suit dress code.

HenrikHansen likes this.
  7. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

Hopefully they did... since the domain appears to belong to a commercial entity.
    Registrant Organization: Shen Zhen Oneplus Technology Co. Ltd

8. RickM

RickM Well-Known Member

At least they tried to be different :) It's annoying as hell when you visit a forum and can instantly see what software it's running. People really don't make enough effort at all. Slapping a new colour scheme over the existing UI is just lazy IMO.

9. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

I thought this, then I saw how - when you hover over the "person" icon, it shows the login box! :)

10. erich37

erich37 Well-Known Member

anybody able to replicate this style ?

:coffee:

11. Ingenious

Ingenious Well-Known Member

Good find @cmeinck - I agree, I think it looks superb. So clean and clutter free, really focuses on content not gimmicks. Also looks great on smaller screens, reduces well (as there's not a lot to compress down :) ).

D.O.A. and wedgar like this.
  12. xIsabel38

xIsabel38 Well-Known Member

Honestly, it reminds me of Discourse forum. A relatively new forum software that does not utilize pages, but instead continues to load threads and replies as you scroll down the page. It's interesting, but I like my old fashioned layouts.

13. mfjordvald

mfjordvald Member

Hey guys, I'm one of the people working on our forum. I've just forwarded the thread to our designer. If you have any feedback for us we'd love to hear your thoughts!

Motobaka likes this.
  14. Teginder Ravi

Teginder Ravi New Member

too white i must say i reckon they could have add more colors to make to more attractive!

15. TheBigK

TheBigK Well-Known Member

They've done several customisations and I'm curious to know who's designing it for them. Everything - right from emails to the accounts page has been customised. Quite cool, actually!

16. LPH

LPH Well-Known Member

Did they change the route so that "recent posts" load ?

17. Arantor

Arantor Active Member

Looks like it.

18. LPH

LPH Well-Known Member

admin.php
    Basic Board Information
    Index Page Route
    Change to "find-new/posts/"

Just did it as a test and appears to work.

19. mfjordvald

mfjordvald Member

Thanks! We have an in-house designer (or actually we have three, but only one worked on the forum) who's doing amazing things with our visual identity. The emails and account pages are actually not XenForo though. We disabled the normal registration system in XenForo and wrote an OpenID extension which logs the user in via our OpenID Provider. Data is then synced via our custom account system and the XenForo user.

Unfortunately this doesn't work that well. The find new posts feature of XenForo basically does a search and then shows the new posts at the time of the search being done, so if linked to in the future it will mess up (check the URL).
    For this feature we developed a custom extension that fetches the latest posts, created a page for it and then changed the Index Page Route to that page.

We're planning a lot more cool stuff in the future, we're in love with how easy XenForo is to write extensions for.

Also hi Arantor! Pretty sure I know you from SMF!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
    AzzidReign and euantor like this.
  20. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Unless I am misunderstanding, you can link directly to the root URL, like so: http://xenforo.com/community/find-new/posts

Or this: http://forums.oneplus.net/find-new/posts

Every time that is loaded it will perform a new search.