XF 2.2 non staff member can see staff forums

ZeroG

I'm new to XF.
VB 3 forum now running XF 2.2
A member shows me he can see the staff forums.
I have checked the groups he is a member of. and ensured they do not have permissions to see those forums.
I have ensured the groups via the nodes do not have permission to view the staff forums
I have checked the members permissions and see nothing special.

I have turned off view and nodes for the groups he is in ...still he can see the staff forums.

help please. I am surely missing something. Thanks.

It's under Groups & Permissions

Just clkick on the node permissions tab, put in the users name you'll see permissions from each group. It may be easiest to set the node itslef as private, that way only groups explicitly set to view can view.

It's under Groups & Permissions

Just clkick on the node permissions tab, put in the users name you'll see permissions from each group. It may be easiest to set the node itslef as private, that way only groups explicitly set to view can view.
Thank You Mr. Lucky. I never understood the 'private' setting. Sounds like a good idea.

The analyze permissions helped let me know that it was the registered users who could see part the staff forum. They were set to inherited. The top forum I had explicitly set registered users to no. So I thought that would be inherited. evidently not. Weird. I've read the manual and the permissions help post here but still having trouble with why wasn't the correct permission inherited. I hate going through and setting all to no explicitly but at this point I have no choice.

Another permissions question:
Under group permissions I see view and view node .... node = forum from what I've seen.
I've turned this on and off and not noticed a difference. What is it intended to accomplish?

1602363306138.webp

View is the main view permission for the whole site.
Thanks Brogan. So, If I check NO for view for one user group. and a forum member is also in another user group with View set to YES they would still be able to view the forums. Right? That is why I did not see an impact.

Since this permission is at a group level what is the difference between View and View Node? They seem the same.

The saga continues. I worked on other issues with new forum and the user who could see the staff forums cannot see them any longer. However he has mod tools for members and for thread. I have went thru analyze permissions and he is set to NO for all mod areas. I am at a loss as to how he can have these permissions. He is only in regular user groups.

modtools4.webp

Check for node and user level permissions.
Thanks Brogan. Didn't analyze permissions check at user level? And Node is new to me. I think of Node as another name for forums and do not understand the difference or where would check for node level permissions?

If a member is not in any moderator group how he can have moderator tools when some of my mods can't find them escapes me. As I said XF is new to me and I'm sure I'm missing something. Thank you.

Top Bottom