Fixed Non-Helpful error message when trying to upload a file

Kirby

Affected version
If I try to upload a file that has an extension which is not allowed by configuration I do get the following error message:
The uploaded file does not have an allowed extension.

While this is surely correct, it isn't really helpful - I still do not know afterwards which files would be allowed.

This message should state which file extensions are allowed or lnk to a place that does give this info.

Gotcha. In that case, I would modify the phrase to add something like "Please contact an administrator with the name and extension of the file you are trying to upload."

and/or add the list of allowed extensions to the phrase.

Yeah, I did smth. similar - I added a help page with all (dynamically generated) info about attachments (allowed extensions, max. filesize, max dimensions, max allowed attachments/post and max resize pixel count) and added a link to that page when an upload error does happen.

Nevertheless, I feel that this is a bug somewhat similar to other not-that-helpful error messages like
and therefore should be addressed in core.

I haven't necessarily investigated in more detail, but we pass the allowed list of extensions into the upload inputs in most cases, so the OS/browser would generally be responsible for filtering to only show allowed file types (unless you then choose to override that).

Thank you for reporting this issue, it has now been resolved. We are aiming to include any changes that have been made in a future XF release (2.1.8).

Change log:
Echo a list of allowed extensions back in the error message given when a file that does not have an allowed extension is uploaded.
There may be a delay before changes are rolled out to the XenForo Community.

Top Bottom