1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.2 Nofollow?

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by RobParker, Aug 2, 2014.

1. RobParker

RobParker Well-Known Member

Just looking for a bit of advice on this.

We've just had an email from a national newspaper's website saying:

As far as I'm aware, all external links from XF are already nofollow, aren't they? Does that include links imported from VB?

(We're still on 1.2 if that affects the answer)

Cheers

2. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

Links posted by staff are never nofollow.

RobParker likes this.
  3. RobParker

Is that literally anyone who shows up on the staff list? So admins, mods, etc?

That would probably account for some of it. I noticed a few addons that change this but any recommendations and any reason why we wouldn't want to make them all nofollow?

4. Chris D

It's an interesting issue.

I've never known a website have a problem with another website linking to their content before. Usually that's a good thing for them.

I believe it is anyone who is an actual moderator or administrator. I'm not 100% sure, but I think if a normal user is marked as staff then they remain as nofollow.

There is an add-on that allows you to set a whitelist of sites and otherwise change the nofollow value for certain users and groups. I have one that's more basic that won't do what you want. I think the other one might be by *******.

RobParker likes this.
  5. RobParker

Cheers

I see a lot of discussions on here about removing the nofollow but not about adding to staff links.

6. Chris D

RobParker likes this.
  7. RobParker

Looks like that would work I think. It looks like I could search for "dailymail.co.uk" and then add nofollow to any links that contain it.

@*******?

8. dethfire

dethfire Well-Known Member

According to Matt Cutts all UGC links should be nofollow