Fixed Nofollow ?order=vote_score

nrep

Affected version
Question threads have sort links like "?order=vote_score" that are not nofollowed, which is causing lots of duplicate crawl URL errors in Google Search Console and takes up a lot of crawl budget.

The Q&A forum type is creating some SEO issues for us as well. I recently reported the schema markup here, and now I just discovered that the "?order=vote_score" is causing duplicate content. I hope the dev team can look into this and help fix these issues.

@Anatoliy Not at all. Technically speaking, that would be the alternative, but seen too many times that things still get indexed by Google even when I put a rule in the robots.txt. The ultimate solution is nofollow.

Thank you for reporting this issue, it has now been resolved. We are aiming to include any changes that have been made in a future XF release (2.2.4).

Change log:
If a thread as multiple sort options, ensure the additional links are marked as nofollow
There may be a delay before changes are rolled out to the XenForo Community.

and now I just discovered that the "?order=vote_score" is causing duplicate content.
It's worth mentioning that this wouldn't be true. There is a rel=canonical tag present that doesn't include filters and that is how you prevent the same content from being indexed with multiple URLs.

Crawl budget would be a separate issue (though there isn't strictly a guarantee that nofollow blocks a search engine from actually following a link.

@Mike Thanks. You are correct on that. Sorry I didn't update my old comment. I saw that Google has decided to ignore those links due to the dedicated rel=canonical tag.

Top Bottom