• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Nodes As Tabs (with tab selection)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ha ha... doesn't stop you testing and developing on a local install though :D

Same boat as you DD... main site still running 1.0.2, but I have RC1 installed locally, already rebuilding menu systems, etc, to cater specifically to this mod. This really turns how you can use your forum upside down.

This is the ultimate CMS for XF right now... being its completely HTML driven and default XF, no BS interference until there is an original XF CMS in the coming years that utilises WYSIWYG interfaces, etc, from the frontend.

Pages has really just been a useless system until now IMHO.

Anthony, could you please explain what you mean with "upside down"?
Would like to know about your thinking and how you think of how to use this great mod?

Just curious, do you code the pages yourself, or do you use an editor like dreamweaver or something then paste it in?
I use a code editor, then paste it in. Quickly creating two templates, cutting out the relevant menu from the pagenode_container template that controls the menu, a few css changes, and now the menu replicates correctly in the sidebar instead of the page itself.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-11-21 at 9.45.19 PM.webp
    Screen shot 2011-11-21 at 9.45.19 PM.webp
    55.9 KB · Views: 44
Would like to know about your thinking and how you think of how to use this great mod?
Because this mod allows you to create tabs from categories or forums, if you remember existing mods you needed to display your forum as a tabbed structure, then this will do that by default. In essence, you could remove specific forum categories and place them as tabbed content.

You could now create node links to anything you want, and create a tab with it.

You can create a paged content area, turn the home tab off, call a page home, place this as your homepage and create a custom content solution, via html or php, as you can do pretty much anything you want via pages. Because there are no limits to pages, there are no limits to how many custom content areas you create... all could bear unique designs by assigning to each.

Because this mod has no limits, you can create paid content areas, upgraded member areas, ie. pay per view, etc etc, all by controlling your content and getting it in the face of your members via the navigation structure.

Because this doesn't reinvent anything, and you use the default XF system, it just rearranges the use of tabs to correctly name, assign and allocate, thus all default permissions come with your content still, all the xenforo features to control and deliver your content.

You can create different styled areas via the style system, assign that style to a specific set of paged content, allocate one to a tab and the rest to its sub menu, you now have a custom content solution area within your forum, that's not actually your forum.

This doesn't really create a lot of things, it merely allows you to use all these existing XF features to a much deeper potential. Before if you created a page and hid it from the node structure, you had to get messy with creating tabs. Then the moment you loaded the page, it would lose its focus and breadcrumb.

People keep thinking you need to keep the default XF navigation, but you can rip it out and use that solely for say, creating a tabbed forum structure, network even... then create your own custom default XF menu... because lets face it, the menu items don't really change between upgrades. If XF ever added something to their menu, then you could add it to your custom menu, whilst utilising the actual nav menu as an automatic method to control your content via this mod.

Right now, the nav menu is horizontal, but there is nothing stopping you changing that into a vertical menu down one side of your pages.

What has been stopping all of the above is that everything fell under the "forum" tab and breadcrumb, unless custom coded, like jaxels media, wiki mods, etc. No more now... the realms of creativity are really only limited by what you can think up and actually do as a user with this mod, because you can use it to completely control your entire navigation structure and how you deliver content to your users.

I use a code editor, then paste it in. Quickly creating two templates, cutting out the relevant menu from the pagenode_container template that controls the menu, a few css changes, and now the menu replicates correctly in the sidebar instead of the page itself.
Very nice, what editor do you use?

Because this mod allows you to create tabs from categories or forums, if you remember existing mods you needed to display your forum as a tabbed structure, then this will do that by default. In essence, you could remove specific forum categories and place them as tabbed content.

You could now create node links to anything you want, and create a tab with it.

I do not want to abuse Jake's thread here (sorry Jake), but I have a crazy idea as you are mentioning that we can remove specific categories and forums and have them tabbed only:

1) what about hiding all categories and forums from the homepage?
2) then instead of having those display as a Tab in the NavBar, have them display as a "Directory" at the Homepage.

like this:
http://www.surreyforum.co.uk/directory/
http://xenforo.com/community/thread...-directory-directory.20706/page-9#post-290756

Yep... you could do anything... for example, quickly creating 3 categories:

Screen shot 2011-11-21 at 10.11.30 PM.webp

Then shift them to tabs, create a forum under cat 1:

Screen shot 2011-11-21 at 10.13.21 PM.webp

Now ditch the navigation and customise it... split the default XF one out, you could do that with all categories, then create a custom forum homepage by rewriting the template itself.

Showing the forum homepage without any categories shown, but instead all assigned to tabs:

Screen shot 2011-11-21 at 10.17.10 PM.webp

You could now feasibly rewrite that page yourself into anything you wanted, or use a custom php / html mod.

People really are now limited only by their abilities and imagination... because this allows you to rip XF apart and display it how you want, without losing breadcrumb, permissions or any XF features.

And the beauty is... you only need to hide the primary content you are displaying as a tab, the rest you leave ticked to show as node, and when you click that tab... well la.

As you're eluding towards, you could redesign a style to strip everything bar say, forum titles out... and it will automatically create a directory for you, all using the forum system. Float the categories to create the primary subject topics, then each forum becomes the directory structure.

No different from stripping a style down to mobile ready.

Not sure how that would go... as they're not a node type. Would be easy to quickly isolate out content though, agreed.

Thinking about it... agree... you could get away with that.

Jake, you make our heads spinnnnnnnnnnnnning ;)

In the end the best is to create a "Page" as the Homepage, and then enter the "Directory Categories" or "Prefixes" manually as HTML.

But can this be done automagically?

Jake, you make our heads spinnnnnnnnnnnnning ;)
Yep... I got pretty excited when Jake popped this out, then accepted to add what I wanted and others wanted, to get what he developed... way more than I anticipated.

I am already looking for CSS3 menus to suit a design for 1.1 stable, then looking at shifting my network into a tabbed structure... Especially as each site can use linked nodes as tabs within each other uniquely.

My navigation template will end up comprising three hook locations... LOL, nothing else.

Once I get a more robust and fluent network, my next mission is to get a developer to build a single sign-on solution to create forum networks with ease, which will really help when you have a lot of content that you can use multiple databases to help break it up and maintain performance.

Thinking about all of this now, .......... this add-on is also the solution for a real Multi-Language-Forum.......
Displaying Nodes in say "english language" ONLY at the Homepage. Then via the language-switch show ONLY e.g. "german language" Nodes at the Homepage.

So literally not just switching the language itself, but also switching the Nodes (via Tabs) according to the language displayed.

Right??????

my previous comment:
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/language-switch-phrase.11165/#post-290752

Thinking about all of this now, .......... this add-on is also the solution for a real Multi-Language-Forum.......
Displaying Nodes in say "english language" ONLY at the Homepage. Then via the language-switch show ONLY e.g. "german language" Nodes at the Homepage.

So literally not just switching the language itself, but also switching the Nodes (via Tabs) according to the language displayed.

Right??????

my previous comment:
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/language-switch-phrase.11165/#post-290752

That is possible with a callback for the page node. This addon doesn't help with implementing the content of the page. It just allows you to display the page node as a tab.

FYI. I added this "heads up" to the first post tonight:

3) Note that this addon overrides this setting so it is always enabled:

Admin CP -> Home -> Options -> Node & Forum List -> Create Pages for Categories

This was necessary because category tabs do not work without a full link.

This actually caused a problem for some one who wasn't using Category tabs and didn't want that option enabled.

I hate leaving a loose end that some one can forget about, but I think I will have to leave that as a configurable option for the end user in the next update. What I may do is add a warning for the user in the Admin CP if there exists a category tab and that option is disabled.

For the current release, if you want to turn off the forced full category pages then you can simply edit this file:

NodesAsTabs/Listen.php

Delete the red code:

Rich (BB code):
	public static function forceCategoryPages(XenForo_Dependencies_Abstract $dependencies, array $data)
	{
		// FORCE FULL CATEGORY PAGES
		$options = new XenForo_Options($data['options']);
		$options->__set('categoryOwnPage', 1);
		XenForo_Application::setDefaultsFromOptions($options);
		XenForo_Application::set('options', $options);
	}

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom