Node tree - who's allowed?

Morgain

I love the node tree and its ease of editing in admin. making things visible/ not; and ordering. LOvely smooth design there.

Is it not allowed for add-ons to integrate their components into the node tree?

For example I use Jaxel's wiki. Great add-on.
But I can't place a selected wiki page of guide info in the node tree like I can an XF Page.

Is that because the XF system won't allow coders to integrate other components into the node tree?

(I have asked "on the other end" on support thread; but with no answer for over 2 weeks including reminders, I think that team is swamped at the moment.)

The wiki addon isn't a node. The node tree only contains nodes.
What about creating a "link forum" that links to the wiki?

Thanks Jake. Yes I know the wiki is not a node. I was asking if a coder can make something like wiki pages into a node type component?

Yes that's an ingenious workaround! Not at all ideal but workable for a handful of pages. You're clever you are!

But I would still like to hear from someone whether it's possible to integrate a new component into the node tree or not.
I'd have thought with all the substantial add-ons like Blogs, Wiki, Media, Gallery, Albums and more, this would be a necessary enabler.

Thanks Jake. Yes I know the wiki is not a node. I was asking if a coder can make something like wiki pages into a node type component?

Yes that's an ingenious workaround! Not at all ideal but workable for a handful of pages. You're clever you are!

But I would still like to hear from someone whether it's possible to integrate a new component into the node tree or not.
I'd have thought with all the substantial add-ons like Blogs, Wiki, Media, Gallery, Albums and more, this would be a necessary enabler.
It's possible, but it would have to be coded by the add-on to tell XenForo that's there's a new node available–you can't just create a node in the ACP if XF doesn't know the possibility exists.

It's possible, but it would have to be coded by the add-on to tell XenForo that's there's a new node available–you can't just create a node in the ACP if XF doesn't know the possibility exists.

Thank you. That is exactly what I was asking.

So it IS possible for the add-on to add code so that XF recognises its components as another type of node?

You see I kept asking if this could be done in the support area for this add-on but over several weeks got no reply to any of my different ways of putting it.

Finally the only thing I could think of was that what I was asking about just isn't possible - that the XF system will not allow any new nodes to be created - and that this is so obvious to a coder that my question is too stupid to answer.
If I know that XF can respond to code that defines a new node - a page of some sort - then I can persist in trying to find someone to do it. But if XF does not permit it then I need to rethink.

Top Bottom