XF 1.4 no time limit between two messages

Hi
i set a value to a time limit between 2 messages but registered users can not post before this time limit but unregistered users can post by bypassing time limit.

How can i solve this problem?

I assume you mean the "Bypass flood check" permission. You also need to set this for the Unregistered/Unconfirmed group - set it to Not Set (No)

It's nice not having a "Bypass flood check" so we can post without waiting, but be careful a spammer could post thousands of threads in a very short time using a program. In order to prevent this I use the following add-on:

https://xenforo.com/community/resources/new-thread-limit.3439/
Which is why "Bypass flood check" should be set to Not Set (No) for Unregistered and Registered groups and only set to Allow for trusted groups within a community.

How do you know they are bypassing the flood check? Are you sure it's the same guest that's bypassing it, or could it be multiple guests posting at the same time?

Having said that, I don't know if the flood check works for guests - it might do but only if it logs the IP address of a guest. The XenForo team should be able to confirm its functionality.

No this is a default feature of XenForo, you can allow "Post Relies" for the Unregistered / Unconfirmed group in the Node Permissions setting.

Hmmm ... fair enough. I though the default XF guest post just used 'Guest' as the username for all guest posts - rather than asking you to enter a username (which is why I though it was an add-on in this case)?

The flood check doesn't apply to guests as they don't have a user ID.

The code could be changed to do so but imagine you have 10 guests posting simultaneously - it would be a bit of an issue if they were being warned for flooding without having made any posts.

I guess every guest gets a session cookie and then for each cookie the time limit applies. Same could go for IP addresses and so on. It is really complicated and it's also easy to just open up different browsers ...

The flood check doesn't apply to guests as they don't have a user ID.

The code could be changed to do so but imagine you have 10 guests posting simultaneously - it would be a bit of an issue if they were being warned for flooding without having made any posts.
But flood check is a must for guests more than registered users.

Top Bottom