No holds barred forum

grant sarver

Just thought I'd share this. My forum has a members only area for content not normally allowed. Works on the theory that you don't tell people not to smoke; you say "do it over there".

Forum Title and description:
WARNING! THIS IS VEGAS!

Why Vegas? Because what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas! B.S. or blow off steam, this is where you can drink, swear, spit on the floor and vent. All in all, a good place to hang out on Friday night! If you don't like what goes on in here, stay out!

Why Vegas? Because what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas! B.S. or blow off steam, this is where you can drink, swear, spit on the floor and vent. All in all, a good place to hang out on Friday night! If you don't like what goes on in here, stay out!

Unless it gets index and ends up on Google. ;)

But that is a nice idea. Probably not suitable for my new site, but for off-topic forums or where a topic of a community can be heated it's nice to have a blow-off-steam forum.

I have something similar which is still there but not activated. It's called "The Wretched Hive of Scum and Villainy". Why is it not activated? Because Xenforo doesn't have an age restricting cover-my-butt thing and Google ads frown on NSFW stuff. So once I get those two things the Wretched Hive will return. It's a lot like your Vegas. But with boobs.

We have one of those forums here on Xenforo, it is MJP's profile page where we cuss at each other.

You did not get your invite yet Grant ?

I have a similar section like that. It'd be great if we can keep stuff in there out of the search engines (other than by means of robots.txt).

hehe, we have a similar section on our xen forum called F/L/H (flame lame hate)
24,000 messages in it. ppl like stress relief :D

Can't you just deny Guest access - doesn't that keep Google out? That's how I currently ring-fence the Political off-topic forum on CC.

Or alternatively, if you want to give Google access to "registered member" content on your site, but don't want them indexing your no-holds-barred forum, just create a separate usergroup for them and lock that into the Googlebot account.

Im another who's with you on this idea. We have a "Steam Room" LOL

Interesting to see the different names of it :)

Im another who's with you on this idea. We have a "Steam Room" LOL

Interesting to see the different names of it :)
A steam room? Oh that sounds like it's right up my alley. I let off steam quite frequently.
witsend.gif

Top Bottom