XF 1.5 No email conformation, admin cannot send test email.

Mr Lucky

I have a new user who has emailed saying they do not received a confirmation email.

When I try to do a test email from ACP to that user and use either their username or their email as criteria, I get the error message

No users matched the specified criteria.

can anyone please help?

Does the email address the user has given you actually match what they provided at registration? It sounds like it isn’t otherwise the search would come up with them.

Yes same email address.

Search for user pasting in the email address they sent me via the contact form - this finds user
Paste the exact same address (or copy and paste from their user info) into the email users form and I get the above error.
Copy username from their user info into test email filed, same thing.

Perhaps the criteria for the email users form is restricted to only valid users or similar.

There’s a “Test outbound email” tool under Tools in the Admin CP.

That might be the best way to test it.

Perhaps the criteria for the email users form is restricted to only valid users or similar.

Ah yes, I hadn't realised that would be ticked by default.

I just noticed they joined last january (2017) and are now only just trying the email confirmation. Could that be the reason? ie does it time out if they don't confirm within x days or moths?

I can't find that.
Sorry, I missed the 1.5 prefix.

Ah yes, I hadn't realised that would be ticked by default.

I just noticed they joined last january (2017) and are now only just trying the email confirmation. Could that be the reason? ie does it time out if they don't confirm within x days or moths?
Well, did they never receive the email confirmation, or are they just unable to find it? Confirmations don't really expire. Have you or the user attempted to resend the email confirmation? What happens? Is it not received? Is it in their Spam folder?

They say they tried countless times, also checked junk folder.

I wasn't aware I could send the email confirmation.

I have now sent a test email to see if they get that. (And replied to their contact form email).

So now just waiting to hear back.

The confirmation records do expire -- 7 days if I recall.

They can re-request it. There's a banner at the top of all pages when they're logged in.

In terms of the email users system, it'll default to only emailing users who accept admin emails/are on the mailing list. You'd need to deselect that criteria to bypass it.

In terms of the email users system, it'll default to only emailing users who accept admin emails/are on the mailing list. You'd need to deselect that criteria to bypass it.

Aha, so for a test email I need to not only deselect valid, but also deselect accept admin emails ?

That is odd because I sent a test email (having deslected valid, but not deselecting accept admin emails ) and I get the message that the email was sent to 1 users.

Last edited:
Actually if they're awaiting email confirmation, then they wouldn't be considered valid -- and you generally wouldn't want to email them -- so in this case it is likely that. The accept admin emails option certainly could be a cause in a more general case though (especially if the reg default for that is set to no).

They say they tried countless times, also checked junk folder.

I wasn't aware I could send the email confirmation.

I have now sent a test email to see if they get that. (And replied to their contact form email).

So now just waiting to hear back.
Had they check promotional folder.

Gmail sometime to some user keep xF mails in promotion category.

Ask them to check in folder mark promotional.

Many users never check that folders

Actually if they're awaiting email confirmation, then they wouldn't be considered valid -- and you generally wouldn't want to email them -- so in this case it is likely that. The accept admin emails option certainly could be a cause in a more general case though (especially if the reg default for that is set to no).

I have tried with valid unticked and with accept admin emails unticked.

The user is getting my emails from me, but not conformations or test emails from the forum. Other registrations seem to be working and getting confirmed so i suppose we can only assume it's this person's email address or inbox spam filter. I could understand that if it was btinternet, aol or hotmail, but never had any problems with .mac

When they registered, the email was sent to that address (or if they changed it, it would've been sent to the new address). So it was sent at some point. Thus it will only be resent if you actually re-request it.

When they registered, the email was sent to that address (or if they changed it, it would've been sent to the new address). So it was sent at some point. Thus it will only be resent if you actually re-request it.

Aha, so do you mean it was only sent once (initially) and that if they don't get that, every other time they attempt, they must click on resend.

The message is not clear in that respect. I interpreted it as you try to log in (at whichever attempt) and when it says an email was sent, that refers to this time you log in (as with a two step authentification) not the very ver first time you tried. This might explain it.

(Though i does not explain why he wasn't getting the test emails)

Top Bottom