Lack of interest No alerts activated in UCP = Alerts tab disappear?

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

James

Just a quick template edit I presume but if someone selects not to be alerted for anything (all checkboxes unticked) perhaps the Alerts tab should disappear so that you've not got a link in the navbar that's never used.

Give credit where credit is due - AndyB suggested this here

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
That, or have a message in the pull down menu saying alerts are disabled, and a link to go and enable them.
I like this idea, especially if a new user disables all alerts expecting them to be e-mail related. Though removing the link could be better for users who don't want to be reminded an alert feature exists :P

I like this idea, especially if a new user disables all alerts expecting them to be e-mail related. Though removing the link could be better for users who don't want to be reminded an alert feature exists :p
Yes, I could go either way on this.

Doesn't quite work like that. Alerts are opt-out, so just because you've opted out of all the alerts to which you are given options, it doesn't mean that a plugin might not add a new type.

That's true Kier, I forgot plugins could add alerts.

Perhaps there could be a global option that says "Disable alerts from plugins or third-party addons"

Perhaps there could be a global option that says "Disable alerts from plugins or third-party addons"
I guess ideally, if a plugin is going to send alerts, it should also add a checkbox to the alerts preferences page as well, but I guess no guarantees.

That aside, I think there are some built-in alerts that cannot be turned off, such as when a member you are following changes their avatar or location. Or might that be a bug? (not necessarily)

If you have the option to stop receiving follow alerts, they should stop too (affiliation with the user alerts that is). Report it as a bug.

If a plugin doesn't add a checkbox that's when a global option should come in, stopping you receiving alerts from that product when unchecked.

Yes, but with how easily alerts can/likely will be spammed, it'll end up pissing off users.
Cannot exactly follow your train of thought, but the alert system could be an extremely interesting aspect to xf.

For instance an admin may want to enhance the announcement system, bring in a feed from somewhere else but not have the feed post on the forum directly (there may be a specific reason), or any number of things that occur on a random occasional basis.

Regardless, I feel that for plugins there needs to be an option for the user to disable alerts from third-party modifications. You could go a step further and display a list of modifications that utilise the alert feature.

I hope there will be a master switch in the Admin CP that will completely disable all alert features. I'm sure that some admins would prefer to not use any of the alert functions on their forum. This master switch would save a whole lot of template edits.

Cannot exactly follow your train of thought, but the alert system could be an extremely interesting aspect to xf.

For instance an admin may want to enhance the announcement system, bring in a feed from somewhere else but not have the feed post on the forum directly (there may be a specific reason), or any number of things that occur on a random occasional basis.

Ignore the mod example for this:

Say someone makes an auction mod, and everytime a new auction is setup, it alerts members to the auction. Depending on the site, the auction system might be used fairly often resulting in an excessive amount of alerts.

If there was only the one option for auctions, but there was no way to turn off alerts for the user, I would uninstall right away. I'm ignoring that it might potentially have a global shut off for alerts, because I just wanted it as an example for users (Just a fyi).

I hope there will be a master switch in the Admin CP that will completely disable all alert features. I'm sure that some admins would prefer to not use any of the alert functions on their forum. This master switch would save a whole lot of template edits.
I asked about this and I didn't receive an official reply as of yet. Even though I won't disable alerts, it'd be nice for other users.

All I'm requesting is for the alerts tab to disappear if you have opted out of receiving any kind of alert and for a global opt out switch that stops alerts from third party mods. :)

Alerts and Likes aren't directly related - the Like link should only disappear if the Like feature is AdminCP disabled. Just because you don't want to be notified when you receive a Like, doesn't mean you don't want to give Likes every now and again!

Thank you James. I hope there will be an option to turn off the Like feature in the Admin CP. I really dislike many of these social features and I think many forums would turn these features off.

Thank you James. I hope there will be an option to turn off the Like feature in the Admin CP. I really dislike many of these social features and I think many forums would turn these features off.
I imagine it will be an option, some forums prefer to be oldschool and just be a forum!

Feel free to post a thread to clarify, I'm sure quite a few people are wondering.

Top Bottom