Lack of interest No alerts activated in UCP = Alerts tab disappear?

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

James

Just a quick template edit I presume but if someone selects not to be alerted for anything (all checkboxes unticked) perhaps the Alerts tab should disappear so that you've not got a link in the navbar that's never used.

Give credit where credit is due - AndyB suggested this here

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I think it should stay, so people know they are missing something. Actually, I think if you go to the Alerts page, I'd display a message "You have all forms of alerts disabled. You will not be notified of any new messages, forum posts, or other content types that may interest you."

I think it should stay, so people know they are missing something. Actually, I think if you go to the Alerts page, I'd display a message "You have all forms of alerts disabled. You will not be notified of any new messages, forum posts, or other content types that may interest you."
This works too.

I hope there will be a master switch in the Admin CP that will completely disable all alert features. I'm sure that some admins would prefer to not use any of the alert functions on their forum. This master switch would save a whole lot of template edits.
No offence whatsoever intended, Andy, but the general flavour of all your posts here seems to be 'Can I turn off feature x?' - are you sure that you really want a modern forum system? It feels a bit like your needs could be serviced perfectly by vBulletin 1.1.

The alert system is designed to alert users of events that pertain to them, not the forum, I can't think of any reason why an admin would turn them off.

No offence whatsoever intended, Andy, but the general flavour of all your posts here seems to be 'Can I turn off feature x?' - are you sure that you really want a modern forum system? It feels a bit like your needs could be serviced perfectly by vBulletin 1.1.

No offense taken Kier. I love many of the new features that you and Mike have created. Also I understand that many of the features that most popular forums have today were a direct result of your creativeness. However I have found that a successful forum can be had using the best of new features and turning off a majority of the extra features that often confuse members.

The reason I take time to express my opinion here on xenForo is to help you create the very best forum software bar none. I can only speak for my own wants and needs, but assume there are others like myself who will want to run a forum with minimum features enabled. This IMHO makes using a forum easier for the experienced computer user as well as novice computer users alike.

I know that adding code to disable features is a PITA, but I think you will need to do this to ensure a successful product. I had to make similar requests at vBulletin for the past 8 years and thankfully many of the features in their product can now be disabled.

Thank you for your consideration.

No offense taken Kier. I love many of the new features that you and Mike have created. Also I understand that many of the features that most popular forums have today were a direct result of your creativeness. However I have found that a successful forum can be had using the best of new features and turning off a majority of the extra features that often confuse members.

The reason I take time to express my opinion here on xenForo is to help you create the very best forum software bar none. I can only speak for my own wants and needs, but assume there are others like myself who will want to run a forum with minimum features enabled. This IMHO makes using a forum easier for the experienced computer user as well as novice computer users alike.

I know that adding code to disable features is a PITA, but I think you will need to do this to ensure a successful product. I had to make similar requests at vBulletin for the past 8 years and thankfully many of the features in their product can now be disabled.

Thank you for your consideration.
Thanks for the explanation, Andy.

Top Bottom