nginx XSendfile for handling attachments

D.O.A.

We've got a lot (50,000+) of attachments on our forum and Xsendfile/X-accel was recommended. Can any proficient nginx users here verify the below is working as intended? We're trying to optimize attachment handling without breaking view counters or removing permissions.

http://wiki.nginx.org/X-accel
I have tested this in /XenForo/ViewPublic/Attachment/View.php

PHP:
return new XenForo_FileOutput($this->_params['attachmentFile']);
withoutx.webp

replaced with

PHP:
$this->_response->setHeader('X-Accel-Redirect', str_replace(XenForo_Application::getInstance()->getRootDir(),'', $this->_params['attachmentFile']));
return '';
withx.webp

So in theory nginx is doing all the work now?
I'm wondering would this also require a defined internal location aka into /internal_data folder etc on the nginx config side.

Hmmm I threw this into my site and since I'm mostly using attachment thumbnails, I'm not noticing an improvement.

We've got a lot (50,000+) of attachments on our forum and Xsendfile/X-accel was recommended. Can any proficient nginx users here verify the below is working as intended? We're trying to optimize attachment handling without breaking view counters or removing permissions.

http://wiki.nginx.org/X-accel
I have tested this in /XenForo/ViewPublic/Attachment/View.php

PHP:
return new XenForo_FileOutput($this->_params['attachmentFile']);
View attachment 42492

replaced with

PHP:
$this->_response->setHeader('X-Accel-Redirect', str_replace(XenForo_Application::getInstance()->getRootDir(),'', $this->_params['attachmentFile']));
return '';
View attachment 42493

So in theory nginx is doing all the work now?
I'm wondering would this also require a defined internal location aka into /internal_data folder etc on the nginx config side.

I'm very interested in seeing how this turns out. Attachment optimization is something that's been bugging me. I don't want to lose the ability to apply permissions to attachments but serving them from PHP is never ideal.

Top Bottom