XF 2.1 Newest First?

My new XF2 install is working great so far, but I just found a show stopper.

Suprising to me, my forums and threads are listed in oldest first order!!
Not sure why anyone would want that, and I really need to fix it.
Tried all the ascending, descending, and date option combos and nothing changes.

The order almost seems random.
Here is an example...

Members are not going to like it if I cannot fix this.

Thanks,
Brad

Posts are numbered and listed in chronological order.

Taking this thread as an example, you posted before me so your post is #1 and comes before mine, which is #2.

Logically this makes sense and is how a thread would be read - from top to bottom - just as you would a book or magazine.

Wow, that is not the answer I was hoping for!

I sure hope there is some way to fix this.
It really is a showstopper.
Nobody will enjoy an oldest first layout.

"Logically this makes sense and is how a thread would be read - from top to bottom - just as you would a book or magazine. "

Not exactly. Each time I open a book or magazine that I am in the process of reading, I do not start at page one, I go to where I left off.
Why would anyone want to start at post #1 on a long thread they view every single day??
I highly recommend an option for a future release.

Brad

Not sure if this would be of any use or not as I've never used it but it seems to reverse the post order

I do like my new XF system and the XF Gallery as well.

Just feel a bit disappointed that such a must have and simple feature like sort order is vacant.
I would trade 100 of the other configurable options just to have this right now.

Brad

QUOTE="Manster54, post: 1326111, member: 177986"]
I smell an addon coming!

But really, you made the best decision. vB 5 is truly a piece of dung regardless of thread sort order.
[/QUOTE]

But they said no problem. Nevermind, at least these days. I am sure hoping they will get used to it. Also, it's not a big issue for me. Meanwhile your forum looks awesome. As a cyclist, I can say to you it is absolutely amazing. So let's just enjoy it. :)

But they said no problem. Nevermind, at least these days. I am sure hoping they will get used to it. Also, it's not a big issue for me. Meanwhile your forum looks awesome. As a cyclist, I can say to you it is absolutely amazing. So let's just enjoy it. :)
Yes it's really sharp. BUT...

I can tell the OP why "google has always hated AZ" and that's the nearly dozen empty forums that have zero threads zero posts. IMO you should hide these from public view until there's content in them. "If we build it they will come" doesn't work ever, and search engines really really hate it. Plus, to humans it just makes the place look dead. Make those "black holes" visible only to logged in members.

Last edited:
Thanks!

Yeah, I will see how much feedback I get for this.
And thanks for the add-on idea, Gemma. Might just try it.

Everything else about my XF experience has been great.
That's probably why not having such an obvious feature seemed incredulous.
In my web searches, it seems MANY people are wanting this as well.

Brad

XF is a new launch this week for me.
My other forum is loaded...

And my main site is also a new launch since 3 weeks ago...

I am hoping that my more mobile friendly design will help with rankings.
That was my #1 reason from moving from VB to XF on the fourm side.

Brad

Brad plz see my edited post #11.

Totally agree!
My old VB gallery has over a million views.

I am going to put my VB forum to Read Only in 2 days.
The Photopost gallery is hurting a bit, but I am fixing some of the php code to be compliant with 7.1 now.
It will also become Read Only.

My old main site was ASPX, becasue that is what I knew way back in the day!
Now with the new WP based main site and XF forum, I am hoping to become buds with Google once again.

Brad

CONTENT is king. What do you plan to do with all the content in the old board?

Totally agree!
My old VB gallery has over a million views.

I am going to put my VB forum to Read Only in 2 days.
The Photopost gallery is hurting a bit, but I am fixing some of the php code to be compliant with 7.1 now.
It will also become Read Only.

My old main site was ASPX, becasue that is what I knew way back in the day!
Now with the new WP based main site and XF forum, I am hoping to become buds with Google once again.

Brad
You know you can MERGE the vB with your new xenforo, right? With all your canocial URLs getting pointed correctly.

Even if the vb is read only, it's still a competitor vs. your new board as far as search engines are concerned. You're killing your SEO not helping it.

Yes, but I am a "clean slate" kind of dude.
The good thing is that the old forum is on a subdomain... forum.atomiczombie.com
So all that link juice will remain, and point visitors to the new forum and gallery.

Brad

You know you can MERGE the vB with your new xenforo, right? With all your canocial URLs getting pointed correctly.

Even if the vb is read only, it's still a competitor vs. your new board as far as search engines are concerned. You're killing your SEO not helping it.

Yes, but I am a "clean slate" kind of dude.
The good thing is that the old forum is on a subdomain... forum.atomiczombie.com
So all that link juice will remain, and point visitors to the new forum and gallery.

Brad
You're not dealing with visitors in SEO you're dealing with spiders. You want google to point people to the NEW place in searches. Not the old place and hope they stumble onto your new spot. Hope ain't a plan. Subdomain or not, it's a competitor.

Top Bottom