New xenForo User has a few questions

rusty105

Hello everyone! I have been using phpBB3 for several years, but think it is starting to slow down as far as development goes, and is starting to get dated. I still think they only want to code the forums. Anyway, bought a copy recently and want to see how xenForo works, but I have a few questions. 1) I have the forums root at www.foo.com/forums, how do I get xenForo to create a home page at the www.foo.com level? 2) What are some of the more popular/needed add-ons?

I will probably have many more questions as I come up to speed with xenForo
Rusty

I'm not precisely sure what you mean about the home page. You can have a tab on the navbar at the top, linking to a home page external to the forums, or not have that.
That's a simple toggle Options/ Options./ Basic Board Info ----- Home Page URL

My signature has a link to my Tutorial with the guidance you want about key addons most of us like to include.

Probably the most demanded addon is a CMS. There is xenporta which many really like, but many don't. Several addons in preparation right now are looking hopeful, notably CMF.

You can either install a portal at your root level or you can setup forwarding rules in your htaccess to send root level visitors to the subdirectory, www.foo.com/forums. The most popular portal is Jaxels XenPorta.

I'm not precisely sure what you mean about the home page. You can have a tab on the navbar at the top, linking to a home page external to the forums, or not have that.
That's a simple toggle Options/ Options./ Basic Board Info ----- Home Page URL

My signature has a link to my Tutorial with the guidance you want about key addons most of us like to include.

Probably the most demanded addon is a CMS. There is xenporta which many really like, but many don't. Several addons in preparation right now are looking hopeful, notably CMF.
Morgain,
I saw the toggle for the home page link. I was looking for something that creates the home page. I wasn't sure if it was a native xenForo option, or somethining I would have to add, like a portal like I did for phpBB3. A CMS would be nice as well...... thanks for the links to check out.

Rusty

Thanks, I'll check that out.

Rusty

Just so you know, Xenporta doesn't actually reside at the root level. It installs into your forum directory with your forums, but for all intents and purposes, acts as though it resides at the root when properly configured in your htaccess. My site would be an example of this. I really have no page at the root.

Top Bottom