1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.4 new Super Admin - add to User Groups = all?

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by creativeforge, Mar 15, 2015.

1. creativeforge

creativeforge Active Member

Hi,
    I'm curious, when you make someone a super-admin (library/config.php), do you also add them to all User Groups? Is that how you avoid any future restrictions for him to manage the whole forum top to bottom?

Thanks!

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

That's not necessary.

Permissions are cumulative.
    See the guide in my signature for how best to set them up.

3. creativeforge

Thanks Brogan,
    The person is the actual owner of the forum, so I need to give him all-access to everything without any restriction.

4. Brogan

Set them as a super administrator which will grant them all permissions in the ACP.

Front end permissions are handled via the user groups.

5. creativeforge

So you're saying that the mere fact of being a Super Admin would already give them full access? When I click his name in the ACP, settings are not checked/selected for User Groups. It had to be done manually. I don't yet know what the difference is between "Front end permissions" and this.

6. Brogan

Front end permissions are those covered by the user group permissions.

A super administrator always has full access to all parts of the ACP.

7. creativeforge

So, just to be sure: this means that a super admin has full access to every setting, whether accessed via the ACP, or via the forum's pop-ups, threads settings, etc. ?

8. Brogan

No.

9. creativeforge

Hi Brogan,

I want to give the super admin access to EVERYTHING, not just in the ACP, but anywhere there are settings to be used across the forum. That is what I need to set up.

10. rainmotorsports

rainmotorsports Well-Known Member

The fact is you can use user group permissions to revoke permissions. If you add a user to all user groups you can in theory cause them to have less permissions.

Create a user group for your super admin. Assign that and only that to them end of story.

creativeforge likes this.
  11. Brogan

creativeforge and Amaury like this.
  12. rainmotorsports

rainmotorsports Well-Known Member

Minor correction. Set that as their secondary end of story. All I'm saying is he wasn't getting what you were saying. There is a really simple solution. You can tell him all day but you cant understand it for him.

creativeforge likes this.
  13. creativeforge

Thanks @rainmotorsports, you get that I didn't get it.

I will look into your advice to create a new user group called Super Admin and set all Secondary to all. That makes sense. For now, I have set all the individuals with a super admin status this way, individually.

Andre