Other New Resource Manager at waindigo.com

You are directly taking from their potential bread bowl. I saw this as a kick in the nuts whilst the XF team are down frankly.

This was my first thoughts when I saw it, on that basis alone I would request my addons and information not to be included.

I never said I thought it did. For the record, I agree 100% with you on that aspect of this discussion, however, they are the one's who need to be managing issues like this here, but for some reason, can't be bothered.

I doubt it is can't be bothered. Believe me I feel your frustration, I have felt it too and walked away from this community for a year ;)

But I am sure there are deeper reasons than that behind their silence.

At the very least it would be deeply depressing to be in the situation they are in. To have relationships and friendships collapsing around you, and to have every penny you have or will have invested in something that is so up in the air.

I don't know if you have ever been depressed in your life, but you are literally incapable of caring about anything.

Not saying the XF team ARE depressed, like everyone else I have no idea what their situation is, but I can see that it would be perfectly possible for this to be ONE of many possible explanations for their absence and silence.

Another of which is the legal aspect.

Many things might be causing the silence.

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. Walk a mile in their shoes.

However one puts it, the reality is we do not know why, may never know.

I still have faith in the team to pull themselves out of the quagmire.

:)

Reactions: vVv
This was my first thoughts when I saw it, on that basis alone I would request my addons and information not to be included.
Just to check, putting the privacy problem aside, will any developer who wants to develop a kind of RM will be accused to steal the XenForo "bread bowl"? :confused:

I don't really see the point of the Waindigo RM at this stage ... if he is going to improve it and release it ... I think that's great. I do find many problems with the RM as many newbies and many others can't find things as easily as they should.

Waindigo ...
Release the RM !!!

Reactions: vVv
That's too bad the W RM down. :(

Waindigo ... about about putting your version of the RM back up ... with just your addons ?
(You could just ask yourself permission).

I think the main reason why the Waindigo RM shouldn't be allowed is it just creates an easy way for people with pirated Xenforo to get addons really easy. Not that it is hard anyway. But making it easier isn't a good idea.

So in that respect, I don't think Waindigo should be allowed to replicate the RM. (I see it is down anyway).

So in that respect, I don't think Waindigo should be allowed to replicate the RM. (I see it is down anyway).

Off line makes no difference to me, I went there when I seen this thread, and I noticed my information was displayed, without my consent. That bothers me greatly, as I am staff here on XF and it makes it seem that I am (or, any other staff member listed there, is) endorsing a product/site on behalf of XF. As a staff member, pulling any information, no matter how it is done to be associated with an unofficial site, should have been requested first, and then it is up to that staff member to bring it to the attention of the rest of the XF team for discussion. That was not done.

Am I requesting my information to be removed? No. It should never have happened in the first place, and therefore I am not going to waste my time. However; I will be changing my TOS for future releases.

I think the main reason why the Waindigo RM shouldn't be allowed is it just creates an easy way for people with pirated Xenforo to get addons really easy. Not that it is hard anyway. But making it easier isn't a good idea.

They already have one.

And that what makes me really "unhappy": those crooks release everything, pirates everything, sometimes even sell everything and, well, let's say it's no always easy to fight them. As result, my addons are only backup on those illegal websites. So if there's a legal independent plateform, created by someone who I can trust, sorry but I take it and the reasons are not that hard to understand considering the actual problems. Of course I will not do any support on there (I don't do any support on my own website), because I do believe the official website is the best place to provide a good service and be a central point to exchange as much information as we can. I'm happy KAM didn't make the same "mistake" (my opinion) as they done before with vbulletin.org.

They already have one.

And that what makes me really "unhappy": those crooks release everything, pirates everything, sometimes even sell everything and, well, let's say it's no always easy to fight them. As result, my addons are only backup on those illegal websites. So if there's a legal independent plateform, created by someone who I can trust, sorry but I take it and the reasons are not that hard to understand considering the actual problems. Of course I will not do any support on there (I don't do any support on my own website), because I do believe the official website is the best place to provide a good service and be a central point to exchange as much information as we can. I'm happy KAM didn't commit the same "mistake" (my opinion) as they done before with vbulletin.org.

That isn't strictly true Cedric, I believe your an intelligent guy and I'm sure you have backups of your backups at different locations scattered in many locations in case the worst case scenario happens (you loose everything) or a comet hits your computer (lol well you never know, this is the year of the comets) :LOL: Apologies for my sh-itty sense of humour . I would have no problem if waindigo came to me and asks if he can use a few of my resources to showcase his RM, no problem at all with that and he can even host some files if he contacts me but not indexing everything all information that just seems wrong, And I'm guessing here but many people if asked would have no issues in him housing some of the resources/content if he asks rather than it be an opt out type of thing.

The crook/pirate debate is a case of 2 wrongs don't make a right.:)

That isn't strictly true Cedric, I believe your an intelligent guy and I'm sure you have backups of your backups at different locations
Archive backups yes but addon description and presentation for which I always spend a lot of time hoping people will read them before asking questions.

And I'm guessing here but many people if asked would have no issues in him housing some of the resources/content if he asks rather than it be an opt out type of thing.
Yes and that's why a control panel with privacy options is needed for members.

Archive backups yes but addon description and presentation for which I always spend a lot of time hoping people will read them before asking questions.

Yup, good point Cedric. TBH I had not thought about that and it does take a while to present a post in a nicely formatted way that it can become time consuming and in some case takes as long as creating the resource itself.

Yup, good point Cedric. TBH I had not thought about that and it does take a while to present a post in a nicely formatted way that it can become time consuming and in some case takes as long as creating the resource itself.
Especially when English it not the mother language and when the XenForo Rich Text Editor messes with my code.

Since the RM is not available (and I again I don't care, I don't need it) I don't see how it's possible to copy its code, except the html structure.
If someone copies the exact look and functionality of an add-on, regardless if the backend is a one-to-one copy, that is still considered stealing by a lot of people. The best way to approach it would have been to create a Resource Manager competitor from the ground up with a different design, not make it seems like he copy/pasted the HTML output into his own add-on (I'm not going to delve into the fact he had ripped content off as well). Will there be similarities in looks? Of course, any good add-on developer should follow XenForo's style guides but that doesn't mean replicate the look and functionality completely.

Had this been released on some obscure website no one was affiliated with, and someone pointed it out by posting here, would you still be vehemently defending it? Or would you tout it as an example of how piracy hurts developers?

If someone copies the exact look and functionality of an add-on, regardless if the backend is a one-to-one copy, that is still considered stealing by a lot of people. The best way to approach it would have been to create a Resource Manager competitor from the ground up with a different design, not make it seems like he copy/pasted the HTML output into his own add-on (I'm not going to delve into the fact he had ripped content off as well). Will there be similarities in looks? Of course, any good add-on developer should follow XenForo's style guides but that doesn't mean replicate the look and functionality completely.

Had this been released on some obscure website no one was affiliated with, and someone pointed it out by posting here, would you still be as vehemently defending it? Or would you tout it as an example of how piracy hurts developers?

Many addons here have replicated some vBulletin addons functionalities, do we have to delete them to? Some developers have also replicated addons of others who decided to leave, do we have to delete them to?
For the styles, as far as I can remember it's the classic XenForo forum display with some tabs. I didn't look further since I was busy fixing one of my addon. Have you seen more?

I'm not "vehemently" defending this service/addon, I said I would be happy to see an independent platform. I also find some of the arguments are very belligerent and some others are totally dishonest. You want less developers here? Well go one with that attitude.

I don't know personally Waindingo but I know that in the past he has been able to listen what people have to said. But there is a way to say it to get better results and less damage.

Top Bottom