Other New Resource Manager at waindigo.com

Am I the only one to have understood that only members of waindigo.com have now their addons description displayed over there???
Am I wrong?

What I think should be done here is

1) all current content wiped clean

2) mock up of some fake add-ons put into place.. Helps the have to start some where, people need to see examples theory

3) developed further to store the mods on your site

4) developers invited to come release.. Giving forum owners another place to access files in the event xF is ever offline 5 hours again.

Reactions: Kim
Am I the only one to have understood that only members of waindigo.com have now their addons description displayed over there???
Am I wrong?
Initially all were shown, but this was quickly changed (based on feedback) so now only waindigo.com members have their full descriptions shown. An option for waindigo.com members to opt-out will be added to their preferences screen soon, but for now if any waindigo.com member wishes to opt-out, they should let me know.

This is just doing my head in. How anyone can think this is a good idea. It's just... remove my add-ons so I can try forget this even exists.

Initially all were shown, but this was quickly changed (based on feedback) so now only waindigo.com members have their full descriptions shown.

So if I am reading this correctly.. Your using this "borrowed" content for an advantage to gain members of your site?

So if I am reading this correctly.. Your using this "borrowed" content for an advantage to gain members of your site?
Rather than try and read too much into things, why don't you just let me know exactly what you would like and I will try my best to accommodate. I don't think it is really fair to read a lot into a quick change of policy in the space of a few minutes based on user feedback.

To be completely honest, I was expecting at most a couple of replies to this thread, then I was going to go to bed.

Rather than try and read too much into things, why don't you just let me know exactly what you would like

Sure, as I already stated.. I like this idea.. but I think it needs to be real releases, not just a sync of another site (esp as you don't have there permission to do so)

2) mock up of some fake add-ons put into place.. Helps the have to start some where, people need to see examples theory

4) developers invited to come release.. Giving forum owners another place to access files in the event xF is ever offline 5 hours again.

Perhaps it is a US thing, but personally I am not so against opt-out vs. opt-in. It is constantly in the news debating the merits of both for various things, but mostly I think it is agreed that opt-in doesn't work.

As I have said already, some of it is opt-in, and I think maybe this needs to be increased to make more opt-in (for example, having the full listing should probably be opt-in). Lets not get too carried away just yet. But for now, since you have requested, I will remove your add-ons, and you will have the option to opt back in, if you choose, once things have settled down a bit.

Most countries are opt-in for service permissions, not opt-out. This doesn't change the fact that what you've done is ethically wrong, as you had no permission or right to copy the content here, in any way, shape or form.

It just makes me shake my head in wonderment that you think you can somehow justify this move. You never tried to ask for permission to do this, and this serves no benefit to the owners of the content. The way you have worded things make this seem like an activity grab, and is just down right disgusting.

Truthfully, if you had asked originally, I would have allowed my stuff to be posted, as I didn't mind too much. But you did so without permission, you've tried to justify it, and you've shown that you're lacking something ethically (At least in this instance).

I won't ever be using this service, nor any of your services or add-ons as I just feel that
Perhaps it is a US thing, but personally I am not so against opt-out vs. opt-in. It is constantly in the news debating the merits of both for various things, but mostly I think it is agreed that opt-in doesn't work.

As I have said already, some of it is opt-in, and I think maybe this needs to be increased to make more opt-in (for example, having the full listing should probably be opt-in). Lets not get too carried away just yet. But for now, since you have requested, I will remove your add-ons, and you will have the option to opt back in, if you choose, once things have settled down a bit.

Most countries are opt-in for service permissions, not opt-out. This doesn't change the fact that what you've done is ethically wrong, as you had no permission or right to copy the content here, in any way, shape or form.

It just makes me shake my head in wonderment that you think you can somehow justify this move. You never asked permission, you did so without any right, and now you're trying to act like it is perfectly fine, and that it would in some way help us, when it will more likely cause confusion, or additional steps to resources.

Rather than justify what you've done, you should have taken the steps Mike Edge mentioned in the quote below. You would have at least kept some semblance of respectability in my eyes then.

Am I wrong?

It's the fact that I was never asked in any way for this to be done.

What I think should be done here is

It might be too late for some people; I know for one I won't have anything to do with it, and I know a few others are annoyed with him as well for this.

I do not believe in imposing ethics. One person's wrong is another person's right.

I have no problem with this.

It seems to be nothing more than a news feed (there are no downloads).

Google, Bing, and Yahoo doesn't ask you to display cached copies of your content. And that is what I see this doing. There really is no difference (overall).

I have no problem with this. And those who do, you should go run to Google for doing the same thing.

I do not believe in imposing ethics. One person's wrong is another person's right.

I have no problem with this.

It seems to be nothing more than a news feed (there are no downloads).

Google, Bing, and Yahoo doesn't ask you to display cached copies of your content. And that is what I see this doing. There really is no difference (overall).

I have no problem with this. And those who do, you should go run to Google for doing the same thing.
Search Engine != this service.

What a failure of an argument.

I'm sorry that you have taken this so badly. I really didn't expect this at all, and I'm really very sorry about that. I agree that there are ethics involved here, but I am pretty confident that in the half an hour or so that the content of non-Waindigo members was visible on my site, no actual harm was done.

Mike has made his suggestion, and less than 25 minutes later, you are judging me for not having implemented his suggestion. At no point have I discounted his suggestion or said that I would not be doing it.

Me and Adam don't often agree, but it did come straight to my mind that Google is actually currently displaying more information about your add-ons than my site is. I expect you probably dislike Google, and that is understandable.

I think everyone needs to take time to reflect on this. I would be very interested to hear some thoughts from people who didn't happen to be on the site this last hour before I decide the next move.

As said before, I will be removing your add-ons from your site (as soon as I finish typing this) as I certainly don't want to cause you any more upset.

I do have to somewhat wonder.. Why didn't you just make a /community and r-sync the entire forum...
If I could offer something that improved it (for example, if I could offer an improved search of the data as a result of capturing all that data), then maybe I would. Google does it, why shouldn't I?

I'm sorry that you have taken this so badly. I really didn't expect this at all, and I'm really very sorry about that. I agree that there are ethics involved here, but I am pretty confident that in the half an hour or so that the content of non-Waindigo members was visible on my site, no actual harm was done.

Mike has made his suggestion, and less than 25 minutes later, you are judging me for not having implemented his suggestion. At no point have I discounted his suggestion or said that I would not be doing it.

Me and Adam don't often agree, but it did come straight to my mind that Google is actually currently displaying more information about your add-ons than my site is. I expect you probably dislike Google, and that is understandable.

I think everyone needs to take time to reflect on this. I would be very interested to hear some thoughts from people who didn't happen to be on the site this last hour before I decide the next move.

As said before, I will be removing your add-ons from your site (as soon as I finish typing this) as I certainly don't want to cause you any more upset.
Google is defined as a search engine. Having my name show up in a Google search result gives a semblance that I was involved in the posting of said information. However, you're system does not give any indication that I did not directly post to your site. The extra strep in gaining access to things I've posted serves no purpose in my mind, and if you wanted to develop a version and work towards providing a better add-on than the resource manager, scraping content is not the way to go. Please remove all my add-ons and block any add-ons from being posted in the future.

I said that what Mike Edge suggested is what you should have done from the beginning, instead of posting everyones content yourself.

Also a search engine displays a snippet and links to the content. Your site displays the content, and links to the original content. They are not the same. A search engine gives us a large benefit, where yours gives none. For my "Move Visitor Tabs to Moderator Bar" this is all that is shown: Forsaken submitted a new resource: Moving Visitor Tabs to the Moderator Bar ( version 1.0) - Tutorial in how to add the visitor tabs to the ...

I am in no way upset, just fed up. I've said I would have been fine if permission had been asked, but then you tried to justify your actions, and even argued that it works as opt-out, which it does not. Trying to claim that you're on the same level as a search engine, which you are not, also is just completely inane and a poor argument choice.

As far as I'm concerned he's providing useful backlinks to our own sites. This is good for SEO.

Xenique doesn't need backlinks :), the site is mostly used for customer support and service. Most of our clients come from word of mouth (I prefer not to market out the ass), and the big name clients we have give us enough traffic that we do not even need to care about backlinks.

If I could offer something that improved it (for example, if I could offer an improved search of the data as a result of capturing all that data), then maybe I would. Google does it, why shouldn't I?

Google gives a short discript and a link.. RSS feeds give a blurb of content and "read more" sending you to the orginal content. Neither pull the entire page right down to images and CSS. I have always liked you Jon, but sorry. I just do not agree with what is being done here from the current prospective.

Mike's right. Google doesn't like duplicate contact much when you copy stuff word for word. This resource would've been fine with Google's old search engine from a year and a half ago but they made some changes that might hurt Waindigo's SEO.

Top Bottom