Other New Resource Manager at waindigo.com

I have another. Why not?
Because it is pointless. It is a waste of time. It is clearly copying the resource manager markup and CSS. It is obviously scanning HTML which is a buggy process. It is not scanning enough apparently. It is as bad as noforo.

Reactions: Kim
If I wish my stuff to not be listed there, and I add a new resource, will it automatically add it there as well? I'm wondering if I'd have to keep up with what is copied there or not in order to request removal, or if you could simply prevent all of my add-ons from appearing there.

If I wish my stuff to not be listed there, and I add a new resource, will it automatically add it there as well? I'm wondering if I'd have to keep up with what is copied there or not in order to request removal, or if you could simply prevent all of my add-ons from appearing there.
I could block your XenForo username from being imported easily. You just have to ask.

I'm not quite sure how I feel about this, because while I generally don't mind people using my stuff as long as it is credited (Which most people do not do), I feel this is you taking liberties without first contacting any of the resource providers for permission, forcing this service to be opt-out, and not opt-in, which is what I fully against.

As such please remove anything by Xenique from your site.

I'm wondering the same as well, because as it is, I can already see this being a headache.

If any developer is not happy, I am more than happy to remove their add-ons from my site.

I think sadly it is the other way around, you need to remove them until they grant you permission to use it. I know just like vB, a lot of coders release exclusively on xF's site just as they did on vBorg

This is stupid, remove my add-ons and add logic to check if an add-on is mine and skip it for when I add new ones. Better yet add actual human logic to why this even exists.

I could block your XenForo username from being imported easily. You just have to ask.
Can you do so, then? Thanks. :)
Just to clarify... the resources are not hosted on waindigo.com.
What happens when someone decides to google for add-on names, though? Your site is nothing but an extra step for no reason, mirroring exactly what's already here and they have to be here in order to download it anyway. I don't want to appear brash as it seems but I see no additional benefit to having this exist.

Just to clarify... the resources are not hosted on waindigo.com.

That also leads to another issue.. Your sync and reproducing xF's content word for word.. Not sure on how copy write of the site plays in place here.. Also fetching info word for word screws up SEO and search engine ranking for both parties.

For now, it makes sense for that to stay on XenForo.com. This is about making it easier for XenForo customers to find the add-ons they want. Adding an extra discussion forum would just make it confusing.

How are you going to do that ?

is your RM going to be released ?

Well since we're talking about the license problem, it would be nice that any developers here precise under which license he is using to develop, a real one, not only "you are not authorized to..." ; especially for free addons. Ragtek did it, Guiltar is very clear on that.

How are you going to do that ?
By adding extra features that make it easier to browse add-ons etc.

There are 128 threads here: http://xenforo.com/community/forums/resource-manager-suggestions.65/ with suggestions of how to make the Resource Manager better. The vast majority of those could probably be added where it makes sense.

Yes, this exactly mirrors the Resource Manager for now. But everything has to start somewhere. Unfortunately, not everyone seems able to see that.

As for opt-in instead of opt-out, I doubt that would have worked either. Please also bear in mind that this has been live for just over 1 hour and can be modified very quickly to keep everyone happy.

By adding extra features that make it easier to browse add-ons etc.

There are 128 threads here: http://xenforo.com/community/forums/resource-manager-suggestions.65/ with suggestions of how to make the Resource Manager better. The vast majority of those could probably be added where it makes sense.

Yes, this exactly mirrors the Resource Manager for now. But everything has to start somewhere. Unfortunately, not everyone seems able to see that.

As for opt-in instead of opt-out, I doubt that would have worked either. Please also bear in mind that this has been live for just over 1 hour and can be modified very quickly to keep everyone happy.

No, most of us understand things have to start from somewhere. However you did not have to start off by copying the resource manager in its entirety without ever contacting individuals on whether or not you can use their work.

I don't see how logically you figured it would be okay to have done that in the first place. And you could have made it opt-in, stating that you had made a resource manager similar to XenForo's, and that it would be an additional place to display peoples products, giving them the choice to post their stuff to your site, rather than posting their product pages without permission.

No, most of us understand things have to start from somewhere. However you did not have to start off by copying the resource manager in its entirety without ever contacting individuals on whether or not you can use their work.

I don't see how logically you figured it would be okay to have done that in the first place. And you could have made it opt-in, stating that you had made a resource manager similar to XenForo's, and that it would be an additional place to display peoples products, giving them the choice to post their stuff to your site, rather than posting their product pages without permission.
Perhaps it is a US thing, but personally I am not so against opt-out vs. opt-in. It is constantly in the news debating the merits of both for various things, but mostly I think it is agreed that opt-in doesn't work.

As I have said already, some of it is opt-in, and I think maybe this needs to be increased to make more opt-in (for example, having the full listing should probably be opt-in). Lets not get too carried away just yet. But for now, since you have requested, I will remove your add-ons, and you will have the option to opt back in, if you choose, once things have settled down a bit.

Top Bottom