As designed New Posts widget - time not clickable

RobParker

Affected version
I'm not sure if this is a bug but it's an inconsistency in the UI and ideally one that should be fixed.

On the New Posts widget, the time of the post isn't clickable. In every (?) other place, anywhere that references a time of a post is clickable and takes you to that post.

I think it's done purposefully to prevent mis-clicks if you have it in simple view. In full view you should be able to click the date and username.

Hmm that makes sense but is bad UI design. When users see a date they've become used to clicking it to go to that post. Now some places they can't.

It's similar to thread prefixes. On the forums clicking them acts as a filter. On the What's New pages they're not clickable.

It's just lots of little/bad UI inconsistencies. If they're on purpose that's probably even worse.

Hmm that makes sense but is bad UI design. When users see a date they've become used to clicking it to go to that post. Now some places they can't.

It's similar to thread prefixes. On the forums clicking them acts as a filter. On the What's New pages they're not clickable.

It's just lots of little/bad UI inconsistencies. If they're on purpose that's probably even worse.
Well, I don't disagree with you on the consistency bit, because I found myself always trying to click on the thread starter username when I had it in simple view, and my users complained about not being able to see their own avatar over the thread starter's avatar so that they knew they'd posted in those threads. So that would have to be put back and they'd have to make the username and date clickable to have all the things users are used to elsewhere on the forums, and they'd have to do it all in a tight space and make it so that users weren't often accidentally clicking the wrong links. Not sure it would still be simple view then.

And the prefixes only sort by forum, right? So not sure how that could work right now on the What's New page.

While we're on it, though, have you noticed that clicking the new_threads header or the "View more" button at the bottom both take you to new posts? I've already made a post about it, but yeah, there's another thing that needs a second look. Makes no sense why a user would click either expecting to be taken to new posts. I'm guessing it was just because they had no default new threads page and felt they had to link to something related. :)

EDIT: Ha ha, sorry, I was just reminded that you had been talking about the New Posts widget specifically and I had veered into talking about the New Threads widget.

Last edited:
It has never been clickable (even in XF1). I can't quite recall the reasons why (before my time) but I do remember bug reports about it in the past, and they were closed. Might be worth a suggestion at least.

Posted as a suggestion but I can't see that it's the kind of suggestion that's going to get loads of Likes. It's just a strange/annoying inconsistency.

Top Bottom