1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion in 'General XenForo Discussion and Feedback' started by TsuChi, Aug 20, 2013.

1. TsuChi

TsuChi Member

What is the difference?
    is there any?
    I think the name should be merged - assuming the functionality is the same.
    newposts.png

optional improvement
    it would be nice if the Recent posts worked for the selected forum - showing only unread posts in that forum node and name was changed to Unread posts.

2. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

They perform similar, but not identical functionality.

3. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

Recent posts includes both read and unread posts which have been made recently.

4. TsuChi

TsuChi Member

ok, but I am logged in so why do I need Recent posts?

5. Jeremy

They perform a different functionality, and will display recent posts that have been read where New Posts shows just that, new and unread posts.

6. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Some people like to see a list of all posts, even ones they have read.
    Members on my site went crazy when I removed the link from the nav bar.

7. TsuChi

TsuChi Member

understand that now :)

8. PyroM

PyroM Active Member

It's essential to find threads which one has read before. I even plan to put the link "recent posts" into the navbar, just near the "new posts" link, because my users and me are so used to it.

9. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

10. TsuChi

TsuChi Member

@PyroM yes, it is important
    but if you do not know how each search works it is confusing
    in addition both searches are for all posts in the forum, yet they are put in different places
    adding to that, Recent posts show only when I click New posts so it is even more confusing for common user

11. PyroM

PyroM Active Member

That's why I plan to put that link in the navigation bar, close to "New Posts". The people will understand, when the links stand together. Thank you Brogan, your words in the resource describe it perfectly! My users an me feel as if we were blind without "Recent Posts", only with "New Posts".

12. 1BJK903

1BJK903 Active Member

Is there a way that I can use the find_new_posts for the "Recent Posts" functionality only? Because I am using it as a widget template, but it doesn't show anything... If I click on "Recent Posts" however, I am getting the posts. What am I doing wrong?

13. Jeremy

You'll need to ask the resource author for proper instructions.

14. 1BJK903

1BJK903 Active Member

Which resource author? This is default Xenforo functionality?

15. Jeremy

You imply using a widget framework to change functionality. That is the author you'll need to contact.

16. 1BJK903

1BJK903 Active Member

Ah, alright. Yes, but what about Recent Posts?

If I use find_new_posts as a template, it does not show the contents, but if I click on Recent Posts, it does. Why is that?

17. Jeremy

Do you have any unread posts?

18. 1BJK903

1BJK903 Active Member

Yes, I have. It is working correctly as I click New Posts or Recent Posts, but not with the widget and that's very frustrating.

19. Jeremy

It may be frustrating but only the resource author can help you with that. You'll have to post in the relevant resource discussion thread.

20. 1BJK903

1BJK903 Active Member

I already did. Am waiting for his response for a day now. Let's see when he responds.