XF 2.0 New members - restrict posting

eaststandboy

Hello

Currently any new member who signs up to the forum is manually approved.

Running a football (soccer) forum, you get some idiots from rival clubs trolling.

What I would like to do is put all new members into a group that will restrict them to just 5 posts per day until we can verify them.

Can someone let me know how this could be done?

Cheers

That's quite straightforward.

• Firstly, all members should have the Registered user group as their primary user group (which is how XenForo is designed to work)
  • For the Registered user group, set the "Submit content without approval" permission to No.
  • Create a new user group (let's call this Members or whatever you like). In the Members user group permissions set "Submit content without approval" to Yes
  • Create a User Group Promotion. For this, set the promotion to apply for "User has posted at least X messages" and set this to 5. Also set the promotion to add the user to the Members group.

With this setup, all new users will have their posts moderated. Only when they have made 5 posts (that have been approved by moderators) will they be promoted to the Members group and will then be able to post freely.
All existing members with 5 or more posts will automatically be promoted to the Members group and will continue to post freely.

You can also tailor other permissions by removing them from the Registered group (set them to No) and giving them to the Members group (setting them there to Yes) to restrict new members further if you wish.

Hey

I get what you are saying, but i do not want to approve new members posts. i just want to limit them to 5 posts per day until i can move them. Almost a holding group, between signing up and becoming a full on member.

I cannot see any option that says restrict user to x posts per day. So assume this is not possible?

I cannot see any option that says restrict user to x posts per day. So assume this is not possible?
No, that would require an add-on, if one exists (no idea if one does).

TBH the solution I suggested is a good one and what most people who want to check new members out before letting them post freely. Do note that you are not approving the members as such, you are approving their posts. That will stop spammers and trolls signing up and posting inappropriate stuff that others can see; moderators only will see the posts and if they are not suitable, they can be deleted, if they are fine they can be approved (unlike your idea which would mean that new members could immediately post spam or trolling posts for all to see).

No, that would require an add-on, if one exists (no idea if one does).

TBH the solution I suggested is a good one and what most people who want to check new members out before letting them post freely. Do note that you are not approving the members as such, you are approving their posts. That will stop spammers and trolls signing up and posting inappropriate stuff that others can see; moderators only will see the posts and if they are not suitable, they can be deleted, if they are fine they can be approved (unlike your idea which would mean that new members could immediately post spam or trolling posts for all to see).
Yes, seems the only workable solution

So, I should:

Make a new group called "Full Member" and move everyone from registered to that?
Then, rename "Registered" to something like PENDING.
Then create a new promotion so they move from PENDING to Full Member after x posts?

Sorry for the questions, i do not want to mess this up.

Cheers

So, I should:

Make a new group called "Full Member" and move everyone from registered to that?
Then, rename "Registered" to something like PENDING.
Then create a new promotion so they move from PENDING to Full Member after x posts?

Cheers
No, follow my instructions as I put them.

There's no need to move members manually (and generally you shouldn't really when dealing with automatic user group promotions), the user group promotion once set up will do that automatically for you. You can run the User Group Promotions cron in Tools > Cron entries manually so it takes effect immediately rather than waiting for the cron to next run. Do note that members that haven't been active for a while won't be promoted until they are next active (or you can run the "Rebuild user group promotions" in Tools > Rebuild Caches to do this immediately).

Ah ok when they are promoted to members they will leave registered group?

Cheers
No, they will remain in the Registered user group and also be in the Members user group. XenForo is designed around users being in multiple user groups.

I suggest you have a read on how cumulative permissions and multiple user groups work in XenForo:

This further guide on permissions is also useful:

What matron says makes the most sense. People do often miss the fact that with Xenforo the way permissions should work is everyone has registered as primary, then all other groups are added as secondary and those groups can add or subtract. It works very well once you get the hang of it.

However one thing you can also do that may be closer to your original request is set the flood check to restrict time between posts

ACP Options > Messages > Minimum time between messages set to 3 hours or something. Then once a user is promoted to a group you trust, give that group a permission to bypass flood check.

Note that I do think Martok's suggestion is better, just thought I'd mention this method though.

What matron says makes the most sense

jacques_468x454.jpg

Top Bottom