XF 2.2 I don't get a notice when new members join

Cashisking

I can not understand this - 3 new members joined today- but they are waiting on approval from a administrator.
But I do not get any emails about this. ( HELP !! )

XF does not send emails for registration approval.
Then how do I know a new member has joined ?
I received a message on facebook from a friend that said - she was waiting on approval -
I logged into the forum and saw her account was waiting on approval - so I changed it to Valid.
Is this what one must do ?

Then how do I know a new member has joined ?
I received a message on facebook from a friend that said - she was waiting on approval -
I logged into the forum and saw her account was waiting on approval - so I changed it to Valid.
Is this what one must do ?
Yes, unless you get an addon

Yes, unless you get an addon
e.g. this one is good:

It can include custom user registration fields, useful for spotting spammers even before going to the forum

Why do you need to manually approve all registrations?

Mots people set it to email approval.
Personally, I'd prefer to set it to manual. That little extra effort can help to weed out spammers, or someone banned trying to get back in, or just get a feel for how the account looks before letting them in. No absolute right or wrong on this one.

As I said - the members that are joining- are saying to me, they are waiting on approval.
If I do not approve them- they will not be able to participate on the forum
How often do you access your forum? I access mine every day, so new members don't have to wait for more than a few hours, which is a reasonable expectation.

How often do you access your forum? I access mine every day, so new members don't have to wait for more than a few hours, which is a reasonable expectation.
Okay - so when I access my forum and see a new member- and I change the waiting on approval to valid- will this new member get a notice ?

Okay - so when I access my forum and see a new member- and I change the waiting on approval to valid- will this new member get a notice ?
Yes they do. You can always test the functionality by registering a test account yourself and seeing what alerts you get with it. You can then just delete the account afterwards if no longer needed.

I don't understand how your subscriptions went into moderation...
Users who register on my site write immediately and I don't have to approve them...

It may also be a put off to people who want to register but end up having to be manually approved after an email confirmation. I know I’d give up and never bother again. If I register to a forum, I expect to be approved instantly and be able to write or I’ll end up leaving and not returning. Especially when email confirmation is already enabled.

As I said - the members that are joining- are saying to me, they are waiting on approval.
If I do not approve them- they will not be able to participate on the forum
IMO best to set up for post approval as opposed to registration approval.

• All new users get approved immediately on registration and email validation (unless flagged as known spammers by StopForumSpam in which case they do need manual approval/rejection as expected)
  • BUT their first post needs moderator approval. This weeds out most spammers.

To do that you set permissions for Registered primary group to need post approvalScreenshot 2023-07-22 at 18.51.00.webp

Then set up a promotion after x posts to promote to secondary group that doesn't need post approval.

Screenshot 2023-07-22 at 18.52.50.webp

You choose how may posts are needed to weed out a spammer, often it can be done in 1

Top Bottom