New member and scared!

MistyMeanor

I have been a LONG TIME vBulletin user. I JUST spent a buttload of money buying a vB license because I wanted to open up a forum for all people living with a neuromuscular disease. There are thousands in the world, and a LOT of different types of NMDs. Many people commonly know the terms, Muscular Dystrophy, ALS, Lou Gherig's disease, Duchenne, SMA (spinal muscular atrophy).

I have fun vb forums before, but it was about 10 years ago. Back then it was for exotic pet owners. There were never any problems with it then, and it was considered the top forum platform on the market.

Well, I just launched this forum of mine and have been SLOWLY getting registrations, but really expected them to roll in much quicker as my team and I belong to other FB group discussion groups and such. But, it seems as if the platform scares members. Like it is too busy and overwhelming. A couple of my members have stated it's confusing or difficult to navigate. It was like pulling teeth just to get my moderators SOMEWHAT familiar with it! So I am sitting her scratching my head, saying to myself, what is so hard? what am I doing wrong? and I did/do think it should have a more clean looking skin... but there is so much more to it than just the skin. I hired on some people to help me with my site and upgrades and such and they highly suggested I switch to Xen. At first I said absolutely not, because I just bought this license. But began to look more into it and try the demo and was impressed with how clean it was, smooth, and seemed to be fairly user friendly.

But I am scared. I have asked some questions of the people that told me this, and one of the things I am REALLY NOT liking is that I have gender specific forums and over 18 age forums that are password protected. How in the heck would I set up usergroup permissions to allow only men? only women? and must be over 18?

The other thing is, I am being told I need to purchase a couple of add-ons, one being xencarta, moderator essentials, and one to set amount of posts needed to post in certain forums. All I see is $$$$... I have already dropped so much money on this current forum, and bought a skin and hack for it recently as well, hired on my new team of "helpers" should I say to manage my forums monthly, and now may need to switch platforms to maybe gain some active members.

So yeah, I am scared on if I am doing the right thing. This forum only has 35 members. That includes the mods which there are 4, and maybe only 3 or 4 of the members have been posting. Otherwise its been me and my team trying to create content to get people involved.

I think you should stop focusing so much on what other people are telling you that you should be doing and focus on building your community first. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to start up on vBulletin and two weeks later convert to Xenforo. I'm not trying to drive you off from XF, I personally think it's a better product, but it's not the software that's going to make or break your community. At this point you need to be out there recruiting members, not fussing over which software and addons you're going to use. I may be the lone voice in this, but I think that if everyone sat down and think about it for a moment they'll realize the truth in what I'm saying.
Well...all communities grow because users create content. If the community isn't user friendly and users aren't engaged, no matter how much effort the admin spend on the community, it will die.

I'm sure you got a bunch of solutions.
I just want to share that I had members who came from facebook and twitter and they claimed my VB site was "too complicated" so I tried my hardest to make VB simpler for them. I never absolutely succeeded in that. I switched to XenForo and for some reason I got tons of compliments and people felt it was extremely easy to use. Things were more natural to follow and find for them.

Hope all works out for you :)

I WAS stressing by the end of last night trying to wrap my mind around switching. I'm going to do it but want it to be as seamless as possible and thought how am I going to make sure all my permissions are set up right and to turn around and go live right after its transferred and get the style and add ons I want/need. Then it hit me, duh?! That's why I just got hired help to do these things FOR me! I'm used to having to fly solo. I'm not used to having hired help. So I'm gonna make a list, check it twice and maybe can get it done by this evening. :) I want to thank you all for your feedback. Wayyyy more helpful and responsive than the vb team for sure!

But it has to be understood that my forum is more like a specialized "club" than a forum that is dependent on SEO. We know where the big lots of NMD people are. We are going to have to depend on word of mouth-type advertisement in a sense and invitees.

Google & Bing are your friends.

People will find your forum because they have a question, and when they search for an answer, they find will your forum.

Displacing people from established sites is an uphill battle because -- no matter how disenchanted you might wish them to be -- most aren't going to change.

Working on figuring out exactly how much $$ I am going to have to spend to get it up and running the way I WANT it.

Hey, any word on that age/gender add-on? hehe... I am going to have to figure out a temporary work-around for my 18+ forums and gender specific ones until an add-on like this is created so I don't have to moderate and move members to groups with each registration!

Yes, it should.

5) Set the users age.

7) Set the users gender. This comes with a gender lock. Meaning users will not be able to change their genders once they set it. So they will not be able to sneak in the wrong forum

Top Bottom