New member and scared!

MistyMeanor

I have been a LONG TIME vBulletin user. I JUST spent a buttload of money buying a vB license because I wanted to open up a forum for all people living with a neuromuscular disease. There are thousands in the world, and a LOT of different types of NMDs. Many people commonly know the terms, Muscular Dystrophy, ALS, Lou Gherig's disease, Duchenne, SMA (spinal muscular atrophy).

I have fun vb forums before, but it was about 10 years ago. Back then it was for exotic pet owners. There were never any problems with it then, and it was considered the top forum platform on the market.

Well, I just launched this forum of mine and have been SLOWLY getting registrations, but really expected them to roll in much quicker as my team and I belong to other FB group discussion groups and such. But, it seems as if the platform scares members. Like it is too busy and overwhelming. A couple of my members have stated it's confusing or difficult to navigate. It was like pulling teeth just to get my moderators SOMEWHAT familiar with it! So I am sitting her scratching my head, saying to myself, what is so hard? what am I doing wrong? and I did/do think it should have a more clean looking skin... but there is so much more to it than just the skin. I hired on some people to help me with my site and upgrades and such and they highly suggested I switch to Xen. At first I said absolutely not, because I just bought this license. But began to look more into it and try the demo and was impressed with how clean it was, smooth, and seemed to be fairly user friendly.

But I am scared. I have asked some questions of the people that told me this, and one of the things I am REALLY NOT liking is that I have gender specific forums and over 18 age forums that are password protected. How in the heck would I set up usergroup permissions to allow only men? only women? and must be over 18?

The other thing is, I am being told I need to purchase a couple of add-ons, one being xencarta, moderator essentials, and one to set amount of posts needed to post in certain forums. All I see is $$$$... I have already dropped so much money on this current forum, and bought a skin and hack for it recently as well, hired on my new team of "helpers" should I say to manage my forums monthly, and now may need to switch platforms to maybe gain some active members.

So yeah, I am scared on if I am doing the right thing. This forum only has 35 members. That includes the mods which there are 4, and maybe only 3 or 4 of the members have been posting. Otherwise its been me and my team trying to create content to get people involved.

Ha! How ironic Tracy! -- Just saw your forums... very cool first off, but I had to snicker when I saw "justsayapple" because I work for Apple Inc. That's my REAL job. LOL! You already earned brownie points from me with your Apple-based forum ... so I know you are a fellow "MAChead!"

Ha! How ironic Tracy! -- Just saw your forums... very cool first off, but I had to snicker when I saw "justsayapple" because I work for Apple Inc. That's my REAL job. LOL! You already earned brownie points from me with your Apple-based forum ... so I know you are a fellow "MAChead!"
<as I type on my Mac Mini>
Yep - but I also have Android devices as well. I'm an equal opportunity user. I use the tool I need for the job.
Funny thing is, once I started the site - I've gotten visits from Cupertino - guess they are checking up on sites that use the word apple in their domain name. :whistle:

You can bet your sweet ass on that Tracy! Not just that you use "apple" in your domain name, but also that your site is regarding Apple products!
Hey, I'll be more than happy to sell the domains to them (both sayapple.com and justsayapple.com) if the price is right. ;)
If they don't wanna pay and start trying to say it's theirs since it uses apple in the domain - I'll just change it over to how to bake pies/cobblers with Granny Smith apples. :ROFLMAO:
I couldn't believe neither of those domains were registered - and jumped on 'em at first chance.

Hi Misty, in regards to your question about the icons, you might want to take a look at one of the features of my framework (that drives all of the styles I sell):

http://razorthemes.com/community/index.php/topic/20-node-icons/

The frameworks makes neat features like this a breeze to utilize, especially for those looking for an easy to use system. :)

John, I made a list of some of the styles I have already been eyeballing. Don't know if one of yours were on the list. But I love the icons!! Is this an add-on? Or what?

<if ip-address ='*.campus.apple.com'>
Popup: 'Please send me a free iPhone'
</if>
Actually... I'd replace the iPhone (since I already have 2 iPhone 5's and 1 iPhone 4S) with a Mac Pro. :p
I may go ahead and do something like that anyway - at least it might get a laugh from them.
@MistyMeanor keeping this on topic of your original question - I've used several other forum softwares (and just about all from the user aspect). I am glad that I settled on xenForo for my platform. It's easy to use from the end user point (and on my M/C forum I've got several users that prefer it over the VB sites they visit due to layout/speed), the administration and customization of it is out of this world, the Dev's listen to feed-back from their customers, and customizing is really a breeze once you understand it, and the user support could not be better.

John, I made a list of some of the styles I have already been eyeballing. Don't know if one of yours were on the list. But I love the icons!! Is this an add-on? Or what?
Its a framework that we've created that drives all of our styles and adds lots of neat features to the XF styling system...so it's easy to use and makes upgrades easy. This will give you more details (if you're interested) on what the framework does. (this link is to the standalone version we sell, but all the styles use this same version):

http://razorthemes.com/community/index.php/store/product/11-xenomorph™-style-framework/

Very cool! -- Thank you Tracy! Can I see your public site? I will go to your profile and see if it's listed there.

Another thought... I saw people can earn trophies and such in the demo version of XF. Does XF have something in place to use like the infraction system and reputation system in vB?
Infractions, yes. (Warnings). Reputation, sort of. That's what "Likes" are.

I know that @Waindigo has an add-on at http://xenforo.com/community/resources/forum-node-information-by-waindigo.2041/ that allows a lot of neat stuff that he just released. I've thought about using it, but right now I've got mine done in EXTRA.css and am familiar with doing it that way. For someone that wasn't, then it would probably be real handy.

I think you should stop focusing so much on what other people are telling you that you should be doing and focus on building your community first. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to start up on vBulletin and two weeks later convert to Xenforo. I'm not trying to drive you off from XF, I personally think it's a better product, but it's not the software that's going to make or break your community. At this point you need to be out there recruiting members, not fussing over which software and addons you're going to use. I may be the lone voice in this, but I think that if everyone sat down and think about it for a moment they'll realize the truth in what I'm saying.

I agree with Tracy. Forgot likes, reputation and other stuff. Post ratings add on is the way.
For me that add on was one of the MAIN key factors that led me to choose XenForo over other forum software. Definitively.

The main problem I see on your current website is that you don't allow for guest to view threads. That's a huge deal, especially with searching bots (Google, Bing, and their friends). You have to allow this option, and this is one of the major reasons (in my opinion) that people don't want to register to your website - because they can't see any relevant content (for them) except for thread titles (which is like getting a magazine/newspaper with titles only).

I think you should stop focusing so much on what other people are telling you that you should be doing and focus on building your community first. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to start up on vBulletin and two weeks later convert to Xenforo.
Actually, if you are just starting out - that would probably be the BEST time to re-evaluate it. That way you don't have a lot of users who have to have to reacquaint themselves with the new software. Much easier to start off on what you want to use than convert over later with lots of "features", posts etc. and then the associated griping/grumbling about the differences.

Hey guys. I appreciate your thoughts. I was just throwing it out roughly how long we launched. It's actually been a bit longer than that, but I'm a kind of person that if I feel like something isn't right, then I don't do things half ass. I am a perfectionist to my own fault.

My tech support guys, the ones that recommended XF told me the same thing about guests. But it has to be understood that my forum is more like a specialized "club" than a forum that is dependent on SEO. We know where the big lots of NMD people are. We are going to have to depend on word of mouth-type advertisement in a sense and invitees. The disabled community (at least this particular one) is very concerned with privacy. This is why our registration process was so stringent as well. Our forum WAS totally unviewable anything past the main forum and all forums said "private" beside them. I knew instantly this was way too much. These people talk openly about their caregivers, bowel habits, etc. so yeah they don't want the entire world or family members or whoever to be able to get on and read everything. Although we are going to change it to where at least the home sweet home section is readable. Just not the medical talk areas and such. So those are some upcoming changes I just haven't made yet.

Actually, if you are just starting out - that would probably be the BEST time to re-evaluate it. That way you don't have a lot of users who have to have to reacquaint themselves with the new software. Much easier to start off on what you want to use than convert over later with lots of "features", posts etc. and then the associated griping/grumbling about the differences.
Actually thank you terry. This is what I told my mods when they suggested I wait until we have more members. I told them now is the time and the earlier the better. I don't want to throw a ton of veteran members for a loop. It'll be hard enough just me learning a new platform and my team which I just trained to moderate a vb board!

Top Bottom