Fixed New media comments should display in list form like search results

Sim

Affected version
2.0.0 beta 1
(I've put this in bug reports because I do feel it is something which needs fixing rather than a suggestion - but feel free to disagree and move it)

The new "New media comments" search currently displays images as a thumbnail grid - in the same way that the "New media" search does.

1504758014851.webp

Given for "New media comments" we're actually more interested in the comments than the images themselves, it would be more useful to have them displayed in list form (with small thumbnails), just as we would for general search results or Your Content or tags and so on:

1504758177608.webp

(minus the strikeout of course!!)

It would be even more useful to show the last person who commented like we do for thread lists - because it can be useful to see at a glance if it is someone we need to pay attention to now, or someone we'd rather ignore - and more importantly - how long ago the last comment was.

Also, if we turn off the "show only unread" filter, we'd potentially see photos where we were the last person to comment and it's useful to have an indicator that it was us who commented last.

Even if we can't get last commenter now, I'd be happy to just see this in linear form.

By way of comparison, back when I had vBulletin+PhotoPost (hacked to use vB threads for comments), I used to display the gallery photos in this format and I think it worked well:

1504759146880.webp

Yeah, I agree something needs to be done in the long run here.

It would be good if marked as read data could be used so you could see exactly how many new comments are available to read for each media item in the list.

With potential the ability to click to load the new comments inline in on the current page. Or clicking the media to bring you to the lartest unread comment, as with threads.

Yes I agree, the new media comments layout should change so that at the minimum the last comment poster is clearly shown on the page (perhaps with an AJAX comment preview on mouse hover?). I almost submitted this as a XFMG suggestion yesterday but couldn't think of what to include as a better layout example, so thanks! It is nice to see other people share this view. :)

Changing the display of this page is actually on our todo list.

Excellent, sounds great! (y)

Top Bottom