XF 2.1 New install 2.1.6 and importing from VB 5.5

ck2020

Hello!

Just bought the license and getting ready to install / import. I asked this question in another thread and was suggested to post it here. Any advice on this or anything else before I start is appreciated!

I assumed when I got to the import part that it would ask for an .sql file but in reading more I see you just need to give db connection info or it may even find a config file so no need to export or d/l my db. I dont know if it matters but something I found strange. When trying to export through phpmyadmin I keep getting network errors around 4.4GB and then it fails. I downloaded a backup of the db directly through cpanel and its only 2.9GB, strange yes? Opening the live db up the largest table in there is like 1.6GB which is vb_filedata. In researching more I guess we should have switched the attachments and files to the filesystem instead of keeping them in the db all these years. Should I go through that process first of moving those files to the filesystem before attempting an import?

Also it mentions in installation to have an empty DB for the install. So do I need to go into phpmyadmin and create a new DB, name it something and that's it before running the /install?

You don't need to export the VB installation - the XF importer will read from the source DB and files.
VB and XF will need to be on the same server.

So do I need to go into phpmyadmin and create a new DB, name it something and that's it before running the /install?
Yes - create a new XF DB then install XF.
Then install the importer add-on and import from VB.

Have a read of this first - it will help you avoid additional work: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/importing-guidelines.25325/

As an aside, using phpMyAdmin for large dumps isn't advised - it's not designed for it.
You would need to use something like mysqldump.

You don't need to export the VB installation - the XF importer will read from the source DB and files.
VB and XF will need to be on the same server.

Yes - create a new XF DB then install XF.
Then install the importer add-on and import from VB.

Have a read of this first - it will help you avoid additional work: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/importing-guidelines.25325/

As an aside, using phpMyAdmin for large dumps isn't advised - it's not designed for it.
You would need to use something like mysqldump.
tx again Brogan, I appreciate the fast responses!

in your post about importing guidelines, it says if you are importing from an active site, make a copy of it. Do you mean just make a copy of the db? I wouldn't need all the files and everything else for the import correct?

Yes, just the DB.
Either that or close the VB site.

You don't want to be importing while the site is active as it will potentially result in inconsistent data.

have it installed, did the import successfully attempt 1, everything looked ok!

Then, in filezilla I changed the name of the active forums directory from /forum to /forum-old, then I changed the name of my XF forums directory to be /forum. Also went into admin options and changed from forums to forum. For some reason getting page not found on the home page (index.php).

What am I missing?

- nvm found it in the options... I had an extra /forum in there

Then, in filezilla I changed the name of the active forums directory from /forum to /forum-old, then I changed the name of my XF forums directory to be /forum.

I'm not sure why you would need to change any directory names.
ok I see where I have to change them by each user group...

Have you made sure everyone has registered as primary group? Then reconfigure all secondary groups.

This is a very commeon meistake people make when first importing from vBulletin ((I know I did)

I'm not sure why you would need to change any directory names.

Have you made sure everyone has registered as primary group? Then reconfigure all secondary groups.

This is a very commeon meistake people make when first importing from vBulletin ((I know I did)
When I installed XF, I did it in a directory called forums, then changed it to forum once everything was done.

Not sure what you mean on primary and secondary groups but it looks like they are able to edit posts now.

When I installed XF, I did it in a directory called forums, then changed it to forum once everything was done.

OK, understood.
Not sure what you mean on primary and secondary groups but it looks like they are able to edit posts now.

Just that as permissions work differently on xenforo it is necessary for all mebers to have registered as primary group, then any other group is secondary and everything is set to no/inherit except the thsopecific permssions that are different to registered. I missed this when I first did the import.

But if it's all working now...

Make sure you read up on permissions.

It's different to what you are used to.

Top Bottom