New host

myissue

Hello
I will change host and i need step by step tutorial how to do it.
I do not know anything so .......

I try to finde it but all tutorials are for people who know something.

Thanx!

Step by step tutorial on changing hosts, is not possible -- too many variables. I'm happy to help you, but you will need to send me a PC with access details to your host, where you want to go, so forth.

Are you using cPanel?

There will be different methods of migrating from one host to another depending on the setup of each provider. With most providers offering cPanel, it could be as easy as your new hosting provider migrating all of your websites data on your behalf and you having to update your nameservers. In worse case, it could be a manual migrating having to copy the files, databases etc over to the new provider.

I'd be happy to help you out if you like, regardless of if you host with us or not. Feel free to hit me up via PM, Skype (a2.alex) or email alex@a2hosting.com.

A good host will be able to take care of it all, but may need some co-operation from the old host. If the old host is not helpful (due to sour grapes or incompetence) it can be a pain.

But I agree there is no simple guideline, ask the new host to do it. If they aren't helpful, then find someone else. I recommend @MattW who you can contact here, for a very smooth and yet fast ride.

Last edited:
I read about migration, first download forum via FTP, download forum via phpMyAdmin, then upload forum via FTP and upload data base via phpmyAdmin.
Is it possible that people give more answer arount than on official forum?

BTW if we have payed software migration is somethig what we all have someday and tutorial for that is something natural or maybe i am wrong about it.
When i use MyBB you could finde all about migration and its a free software.

I read about migration, first download forum via FTP, download forum via phpMyAdmin, then upload forum via FTP and upload data base via phpmyAdmin.
Is it possible that people give more answer arount than on official forum?

You might be making it much more complicated than it needs to be. It could be as simple as providing your new hosting provider your cPanel log in details and letting them handle everything for you.

If you insist on manually migrating your site, then you have the gist of it.
1. Backup your files either via FTP or file manager
2. Upload those onto the new server
3. Export your database in PhpMyAdmin
4. Import your database in PhpMyAdmin on the new server

You then need to update your domains nameservers to point over to your new hosting provider.

BTW if we have payed software migration is somethig what we all have someday and tutorial for that is something natural or maybe i am wrong about it.

There are plenty of tutorials for migrating a site from one provider to another. Thing is, what is the right way to do it would generally be best for you. We're trying to grab some additional details from you so we can provide you with not only the quickest way, but the simplest way.

Import your database in PhpMyAdmin on the new server

I have found that phpmyadmin is no good for importing any database over 50MB. I use big dump for this but I would do this if possible:

It could be as simple as providing your new hosting provider your cPanel log in details and letting them handle everything for you.

I have found that phpmyadmin is no good for importing any database over 50MB. I use big dump for this but I would do this if possible:

Very true, yes. Another reason for OP to contact their new host and see whats what, making sure the migration goes through smoothly.

Migrating MyBB from one server to another should be exactly the same as Xenforo. Which is why we don't have many specific tutorials.

Most php applications you download the files. Export the database. Then upload the files to a new host and import the database. The only thing you may need to do is edit the config file with the new mysql login information.

Migrating to a new server is best done at the command line. Try this from a test server, from within the website's root directory:

Code:
tar -czvf ../filename.tar.gz .

Make sure you input the period after the filename, which ensures hidden files are included. This will put the archive above the root directory, so that it won't be available to the public. If your site is a typical XF install, all of your content/addons/media should be rolled up in one large file. The actual "filename" of your archive can be whatever you wish, but keep it short.

Then move up to the directory with the archive and do a secure copy to the new server via ssh:

Code:
scp -P [port number] filename.tar.gz [username]@[host ip]:

The "port number" may be the normal SSH port, but if you've already changed it as you should then use that. The "username" and "host ip" would be whatever represents a user that can login to the new server via ssh. There are several references on scp command line examples on the web.

The only remaining step would be to export a copy of the database, and put the copy on the new server as well via secure copy.

On the new server, setup your virtual host with the same configuration parameters and put the website archive in the root directory. Then extract it as such:

Code:
tar -xvzf filename.tar.gz

When completed, ensure that your permissions are retained. In some cases the user/group ownership may match, but you may have to update them as well.

Then restore your database from the export. Delete both archives, and Test.

Do this on a test server until you're comfortable doing it with your live data. Reduce the TTL on your DNS a few days before the move, in order to minimize user impact on DNS propagation, and move it back to the normal TTL setting afterward in order to minimize page load times.

Migrating to a new server is best done at the command line. Try this from a test server, from within the website's root directory:

Code:
tar -czvf ../filename.tar.gz .

Make sure you input the period after the filename, which ensures hidden files are included. This will put the archive above the root directory, so that it won't be available to the public. If your site is a typical XF install, all of your content/addons/media should be rolled up in one large file. The actual "filename" of your archive can be whatever you wish, but keep it short.

Then move up to the directory with the archive and do a secure copy to the new server via ssh:

Code:
scp -P [port number] filename.tar.gz [username]@[host ip]:

The "port number" may be the normal SSH port, but if you've already changed it as you should then use that. The "username" and "host ip" would be whatever represents a user that can login to the new server via ssh. There are several references on scp command line examples on the web.

The only remaining step would be to export a copy of the database, and put the copy on the new server as well via secure copy.

On the new server, setup your virtual host with the same configuration parameters and put the website archive in the root directory. Then extract it as such:

Code:
tar -xvzf filename.tar.gz

When completed, ensure that your permissions are retained. In some cases the user/group ownership may match, but you may have to update them as well.

Then restore your database from the export. Delete both archives, and Test.

Do this on a test server until you're comfortable doing it with your live data. Reduce the TTL on your DNS a few days before the move, in order to minimize user impact on DNS propagation, and move it back to the normal TTL setting afterward in order to minimize page load times.

Maybe you missed this bit:
Hello
I will change host and i need step by step tutorial how to do it.
I do not know anything so .......

I try to finde it but all tutorials are for people who know something.

Top Bottom