New generic TLDs from ICANN - .CANON .PARIS .WHATEVER .BuyWHY ?

Digital Doctor

I'm slightly perplexed at why the generic TLDs (gTLD) are being expanded.

This seems more likely to make ICANN money than it does to solve any major problems.

I read this by ICANN:
http://www.icann.org/en/topics/new-gtlds/new-gtlds-communications-plan-30may11-en.pdf\

They use fluffy language like:

3. New gTLDs are a platform for innovation

ORLLY ?
like how ?

I wonder if this can be stopped.

why does the world need these new TLDs ?

BTW, anyone want to apply for these with me ?
.LIKE
.TOY
.LOVE
.LIVE
.NEW
.SALE
.LOL
.SUCKS
.MONEY
.CAR
.SEX
.GOLF

Weird.

Doubt this will catch on in any meaningful way. *.com still rules after all these years followed by *.net and .org, the rest are just fringe elements.

Well I can't say I was thrilled with the news, but I do think it will have an impact. Though I think the fee is excessive, I think it will help keep this whole thing manageable. There are not going to be a lot of individuals securing TLDs. Only companies building a brand might see a benefit. Also I can see keywords being valuable but I think .com handles that pretty well.

It will be interesting to see if this confuses the average user.

There is a bit more to this, the ability to purchase any TLD will come with the following attached:

Any established public or private organization anywhere in the world can apply to create and operate a new gTLD Registry. Applicants will need to demonstrate the operational, technical and financial capability to run a registry and comply with additional specific requirements.
This is going to be for the big corporates out there who have the money, desire and patience to run a TLD. Taking on user registrations, invoicing, disputes, infrastructure enhancements etc. I suspect that many will see if they can get a 3rd party (read already a registrar) to host the service.Exciting times ahead imo.

NOt only for ICANN.

Somebody who have the RIGHTS for some "funny" things, could also make big money with selling domains

er why do icann still hold control of the world domains? it shouldnt be controlled by one corporation in one country. domains should be controlled by seperate organisation in each region like in europe, africa, asia etc

Anyone want to buy .SUCKS with me ?

Microsoft.sucks
vBulletin.sucks
globalwarming.sucks
BankofAmerica.sucks
whatever.com.sucks <--- whoa... it's almost like .SUCKS could be the "SUCKS" version of everything !!!!
CorporationXYZ.sucks

I'm guessing it'll take some serious venture capital to buy .SUCKS !!!

Why would anyone other than McDonalds want a .mcdonalds domain?
Ditto for Microsoft, Coke, IBM, Apple, etc?

It's nothing more than a money making exercise for ICANN.

I really don't like this idea at all.. At ALL....

...but I can totally see how Mega Corps would use their own .domains

McDonalds would have literally 100s of thousands (not sure how many there are globally, but I bet it is a LOT) of them... each one would want their own .mcdonalds domain along with hundreds of the actual Corporations' internal sites.

franchise.mcdonalds, findmynearest.mcdonalds, employment.country.mcdonalds, suburb.mcdonalds, suburb.city.country.mcdonalds

Etc.

Horrible idea though, all it means is that every website has to buy more and more variants of it's name just to protect it's reputation or brand integrity.

er why do icann still hold control of the world domains? it shouldnt be controlled by one corporation in one country. domains should be controlled by seperate organisation in each region like in europe, africa, asia etc
I think thats the point of it all, to open it up to more players when it comes to domains

Top Bottom