New generic TLDs from ICANN - .CANON .PARIS .WHATEVER .BuyWHY ?

Yep I sure have $5k laying around, let alone $180k just lying around waiting for me to blow it on a virtual item such as a completely custom TLD. I mean come on? I think this new gTLD was done to allow big businesses get their own TLD's.

yeah probably, but that is what I am getting at...isn't owning a tld and selling domains under it a legit and profit bearing business ; at 20 a pop you would get your application fee back with 18000 unit sales which for a registrar I would take a guess at that being not a hard number to hit. If you consider a crafty tld and the unlimited permutations ending with that tld 18000 is a very small number. There is profit to be made in sales and renewals.

First it's pathetic that IB/vB has to be brought up in yet another thread. Really?

On to the topic.
I bought a couple. .co addresses just so I can retain identity to some other domains I have.
I didn't want some guy squatting and holding me hostage.
People using similar domains don't both me but when I go to add another tld and see it's for sale, that erks me.
Sure, it's free enterprise but nothing free about it.
There is absolutely no regulation on the tlds anyway.
I have a .com as my email address. I use a .org for my forum. .net as a redirect to a yahoo list.
A new forum I wanted to start run the gambit of .info, .net, .org, .com.

Now that preorders are out is anyone looking into these? I am super interested in .game and .play but not sure when pre-orders will start.

Lol this doesn't bother me. If there's something interesting I like I'll change the name of my site again.

I bought a couple. .co addresses just so I can retain identity to some other domains I have.
I didn't want some guy squatting and holding me hostage.

People using similar domains don't both me but when I go to add another tld and see it's for sale, that erks me.
Sure, it's free enterprise but nothing free about it.
There is absolutely no regulation on the tlds anyway.
I have a .com as my email address. I use a .org for my forum. .net as a redirect to a yahoo list.
A new forum I wanted to start run the gambit of .info, .net, .org, .com.
I felt the same, but the price is kinda high. :(
Yep I sure have $5k laying around, let alone $180k just lying around waiting for me to blow it on a virtual item such as a completely custom TLD. I mean come on? I think this new gTLD was done to allow big businesses get their own TLD's.
Not really, 50 to 70% of good domain names are already taken. I had to spend a lot of money just to be able to acquire a hot domain like MW3Blog.com a few years ago. I've learned from that, and reserved the next Black Ops or Modern Warfare numbered domain name. If either one is not Black Ops 3 or Modern Warfare 4, no biggie - a loss of 20 to 50 bucks. No biggie. But if it is confirmed to be either one - kaboom. I take another 100,000 fans onboard my ship! :D I bought them early, so I can eat up 200,000 in the first year in business. Took me 3-4 years for me to get to 180,000 with MW3Blog.

Last edited:

I actually think it might provide for some really interesting website names.

Examples:

If you run a cafe exclusive to NYC you can soon get a good domain like Kaffe1668.NYC or CrabShack.London

Another example would be iphone apps. Twitter.app would be great for advertisements leading users to the download link. Or instead of NameApp.com or getName.com you can do .app. Hopefully if the gTLDs are used correctly, it will give more metadata to the consumer.

edit: for larger companies, why not let them have their own top level domain?
home.yahoo mail.yahoo news.yahoo answers.yahoo weather.yahoo etc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom