XF 1.1 New Conversion from vB4, Out of Memory Errors (APC)

CivilWarTalk

Last night I replaced vBulletin with xenForo on my server. Today I'm getting "Unable to allocate memory for pool." errors frequently, and I'm wondering if APC is configured correctly.

One of the complete error messages:

"Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'ErrorException' with message 'include() [<a href='function.include'>function.include</a>]: Unable to allocate memory for pool.' in /home/cwt1861/public_html/library/XenForo/Autoloader.php:119 Stack trace: #0 /home/cwt1861/public_html/library/XenForo/Autoloader.php(119): XenForo_Application::handlePhpError(2, 'include() [<a h...', '/home/cwt1861/p...', 119, Array) #1 /home/cwt1861/public_html/library/XenForo/Autoloader.php(119): XenForo_Autoloader::autoload() #2 [internal function]: XenForo_Autoloader->autoload('XenForo_Error') #3 /home/cwt1861/public_html/library/XenForo/Application.php(294): spl_autoload_call('XenForo_Error') #4 [internal function]: XenForo_Application::handleException(Object(ErrorException)) #5 {main} thrown in /home/cwt1861/public_html/library/XenForo/Autoloader.php on line 119"

I believe that I have everything configured properly in the new forum.

I found this thread:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/unable-to-allocate-memory-for-pool.16878/#post-221587

I've contacted my server support team to look at this.

Any ideas?

Is it possible that vbulletin is still somehow using memory? I have it installed in a temp folder, and I'm using it as a reference while I configure some final things in the new forum. I disabled all scheduled tasks and shut down the cache system in vB, I thought that would be enough.

Yes. The opcode cache is still maintained by APC without any special configuration in vBulletin. This is not normally a problem except that APC ran out of memory.

Just that post you found.

Even though my server load is low, I am still getting memory errors, and a bit of slowness from my VPS server.

If I set the vB forum folder to 000 (zero-zero-zero) for permissions, will that stop it's use of APC and memory, or do I need to delete it completely? That's how I have it currently set.

Perhaps 768 MB Guaranteed RAM is not enough for my forum with APC/Memcache? If that's true, then I'm going to be frustrated, it was enough for vB and Xcache, and according to Google Analytics my traffic is way down from the peaks I saw in the spring this year (normal seasonal traffic changes).

If I set the vB forum folder to 000 (zero-zero-zero) for permissions, will that stop it's use of APC and memory, or do I need to delete it completely? That's how I have it currently set.

I'm not sure. But for a fix you should be adjusting your APC configuration as indicated in that post:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/unable-to-allocate-memory-for-pool.16878/#post-221587

Perhaps 768 MB Guaranteed RAM is not enough for my forum with APC/Memcache? If that's true, then I'm going to be frustrated, it was enough for vB and Xcache, and according to Google Analytics my traffic is way down from the peaks I saw in the spring this year (normal seasonal traffic changes).

That is enough for opcode caching. The problem is in your APC configuration.

Sorry, I should have been more clear, that's my fault, I get sloppy when I get desperate. We implemented the fix suggested in that thread on Tuesday, and the problem went away, mostly...

Unfortunately at peak times including this afternoon and evening we had moments where everything slowed to a crawl, according to server stats in cpanel (apparently that part of the server was unaffected) we had a load of 0.83 (16 cpus), and memory usage was at 54%, so the server wasn't particularly taxed, I don't know where the bottleneck could be.

I looked through the server logs tonight in Xenforo, there have been no "Out of memory errors" since Tuesday, in fact, except for a few site map generation errors, which I initiated, there are no other reported errors in the log.

I worry because when spring comes my traffic will double, and right now that seems like it will cripple my site, so I need to find a solution.

Maybe my assumption is wrong and my tech team needs to look deeper at this issue.

The error in the first post ("Unable to allocate memory for pool") is APC.

Regarding your performance issues, it could be related to APC. Check your APC stats page to ensure that your cache is healthy and working well. Otherwise more investigation is needed to determine the bottleneck. Ideally your host or server person can investigate this.

Top Bottom