XF 1.5 New Category - Moderator Permissions

XenBurger

Probably another question that has been asked before, but I googled, sorry.

Create new Category > there is no option to inherit the Moderators from other Categories. So after I finish creating it, it sits in the list with no Moderators. While all the others say Moderators (4).

So I click "Moderators" in the list, expecting to be able to define the same 4 usernames. And then be done.

Or better yet - a simple dropdown menu that lets me select "Moderators" usergroup.

Instead I have to pick just one username, and then im presented with a permissions page that is crazy complex, with 40+ custom permissions.

Im not clear why this is here. I guess if I want to go fully custom. But why not a simple option to inherit Moderator usergroup default permissions? I don't trust myself to know exactly which of these should be set, by memory, and its a total P.I.T.A to open up another window and go one-by-one through each one to make sure they match.

Last edited:
If you're setting the same moderators on every forum, then you would really want to be making those users super moderators. They'll have the permissions everywhere then and it's set in one place.

Otherwise yes, you do need to specify the permissions they're getting in each individual forum they're moderating.

@Mike - Thanks for the explanation! Easiest way to do it was to open another browser window and just toggle between them. Was able to add them with matching permissions pretty quickly, albeit manually.

Aside from instantly being a moderator over every forum in existence, is there anything else important which is unique for super moderators? I avoided that status on vBulletin because I understood that it gave them permissions I didn't necessarily want them to have.

Oh no :(

I accidentally deleted Super Moderator Usergroup when we migrated from vBulletin I think. I don't see it anywhere. I thought it was a remnant of the vBulletin system :(

Is there any way for me to restore it, or manually set it up *exactly* like you guys have it? Sorry ....

Aside from instantly being a moderator over every forum in existence, is there anything else important which is unique for super moderators? I avoided that status on vBulletin because I understood that it gave them permissions I didn't necessarily want them to have.
No, that's it.

I accidentally deleted Super Moderator Usergroup when we migrated from vBulletin I think.
XF doesn't have an explicit "super moderators" group. We only have a "moderating" group which really you can use for whatever you want, but if you have content-specific moderators, you don't want to give permissions there (at the group level) that don't apply to them globally. The expected use case of that forum is more towards giving moderators access to a private forum, for example.

You can either give permissions directly to super moderators via the moderator interface or, if you want to get fancier, create a super moderator group, assign the permissions there, and then add the users to the super moderator group via the moderator interface (and give any bonus permissions per user, if needed).

Top Bottom