Need some help/tips in creating a new site

TheLaw

I don't know where to put this exactly... I'm in the process of putting together a neat new site and I'm very excited will use Xenforo perfectly for what it does best - quick and easy discussion. I've got a good amount of content to seed it and a couple of requirements. I hope some of you can help me with what's available here. I will probably hire someone as well to help since there is only so much you can do. The site will need:

1. Wordpress Integration (login/registration is optimal if possible, not essential). I think there is something here already, a bridge?

2. Integrated Design so that WP and XF have the same look and feel. The stock site actually works for me although nice to have options. I'm not sure what is currently available.

3. A way to display many forums and subforums. I'll need about 15 categories, each having either 4-12 forums, some perhaps having up to 3 subcategories to make it easy to find things. In total, I must have at least 100 forums.

4. A thread prefix of some type that requires users to make a dropdown selection before proceeding. This might require the work of a developer whom I'll hire although I'm not sure if this is already up and coming. All I found is this:
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/suggestion-thread-prefix.413/page-4#post-194299

5. Conversion of vBulletin 4 site data - I may need this, not sure. It does need to copy over prefix settings so will need to determine what the options are. In the alternative, if we go out of the box without it, I'll need to import a forum and prefixes later, not sure if this is possible easily.

That's the most important for now. Hope someone can lead this horse to water and, if you're a developer, perhaps help me drink...

I don't know where to put this exactly... I'm in the process of putting together a neat new site and I'm very excited will use Xenforo perfectly for what it does best - quick and easy discussion. I've got a good amount of content to seed it and a couple of requirements. I hope some of you can help me with what's available here. I will probably hire someone as well to help since there is only so much you can do. The site will need:
1. Wordpress Integration (login/registration is optimal if possible, not essential). I think there is something here already, a bridge?
2. Integrated Design so that WP and XF have the same look and feel. The stock site actually works for me although nice to have options. I'm not sure what is currently available.
3. A way to display many forums and subforums. I'll need about 15 categories, each having either 4-12 forums, some perhaps having up to 3 subcategories to make it easy to find things. In total, I must have at least 100 forums.
4. A thread prefix of some type that requires users to make a dropdown selection before proceeding. This might require the work of a developer whom I'll hire although I'm not sure if this is already up and coming. All I found is this:
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/suggestion-thread-prefix.413/page-4#post-194299
5. Conversion of vBulletin 4 site data - I may need this, not sure. It does need to copy over prefix settings so will need to determine what the options are. In the alternative, if we go out of the box without it, I'll need to import a forum and prefixes later, not sure if this is possible easily.
That's the most important for now. Hope someone can lead this horse to water and, if you're a developer, perhaps help me drink...

1. xfrocks has done a bridge: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/wordpress-3-bridge.5398/

2. bambua has done an addon to allow you to use your Xen style with Wordpress: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/wordpress-dynamic-theme-wpxencss.12057/

3. This will be more difficult, you'd need to figure out how you wish to display them to save space.

4. Prefixes aren't available yet, but might be with 1.1.

5. Probably available at 1.1.

Kier has mentioned they hope to have v1.1 out before or around Halloween.

WOW! :confused: That's a lot of forums. Are you sure you'll need that many right off the bat??

Get someone to make a forum home modification.
Try to get all 100 forum *ON ONE PAGE*.
Almost no one cares what the last post was and who it was made by !

Attachments

• xenforo.forumhome.default.webp
    xenforo.forumhome.default.webp
    100.9 KB · Views: 4
  • xenforo.forumhome.better.webp
    xenforo.forumhome.better.webp
    54 KB · Views: 2
Thanks much. Prefixes... hmmm.... perhaps I can get someone to program something for me temporarily that can be imported into 1.1 when it hits production.

WOW! :confused: That's a lot of forums. Are you sure you'll need that many right off the bat??
Yes. I'm going to be importing content into them. The only way to properly have them separated so that there isn't pain later is to do it right from the start. Trust me on this one...

Get someone to make a forum home modification.
Try to get all 100 forum *ON ONE PAGE*.
Almost no one cares what the last post was and who it was made by !
I've looked at the code and can't figure out an easy way to do this at the moment. At first I was thinking of doing this:

Categories only on Forum Home (so it's 15 subjects) and then going into page 2 puts you into the forum list. The problem is that I've noticed that XF doesn't have a "subforums" page. Everything is on one page. When you click on a forum category it does nothing except put that category at the top of the page like an anchor link. It doesn't take you to a page of subforums as I would have expected.

IWhen you click on a forum category it does nothing except put that category at the top of the page like an anchor link. It doesn't take you to a page of subforums as I would have expected.
That's an ACP setting.

Options -> Node & Forum List: Create Pages for Categories

That's an ACP setting.

Options -> Node & Forum List: Create Pages for Categories

Brogan - many thanks. This will help solve the huge clutter effect of having a hundred forums. Optimally I'm hoping that we might be able to include an "expand contract" in the future with the default being "contract." But in the meanwhile, the structure seems sound in theory although it's an extra click:

HOME - 15 categories
|
Category Subcategory Forums

I'll have to experiment but this will work out nicely. I'm very excited about this. I have no doubt that this will become popular very quickly...

Top Bottom