• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Need help with excessive refreshing by users

kingston

There are certain critical points in the year where I will have one to two thousand concurrent users online literally clicking refresh every 3 seconds to get information.

The board slows to a 20-30 second crawl at that point. What do I do? I have a powerful server, 4 gig of ram, great bandwidth. Besides moving to a multiserver setup (one for MySQL and one for XF) what can I do?

Jake Bunce

XenForo moderator
Staff member
There are certain critical points in the year where I will have one to two thousand concurrent users online literally clicking refresh every 3 seconds to get information.
What kind of information is it? Could it be posted to a static page? I have seen macrumors.com replace their front page with a static page for updates during big events like the Macworld keynote.

kingston

What kind of information is it? Could it be posted to a static page? I have seen macrumors.com replace their front page with a static page for updates during big events like the Macworld keynote.
It is updates to a competition. Usually the way the updates get passed is someone tweets them and then someone posts OR someone gets a text and then someone posts.

I thought about replacing the banner at the top with a tweet list widget just for competitions.

Also, how do I find out what is the bottleneck when that happens? I literally try and batten down the hatches when a comp comes... and it doesn't work.

Kier

XenForo Developer
Staff member
Provide a 'Refresh' link that reloads the current page - it's WAY less intensive than an actual refresh, as none of the JS, CSS, images etc. will be re-requested.

You can do it with Javascript:
HTML:
<a href="javascript:window.location=window.location">Reload Page</a>

Kier

XenForo Developer
Staff member
Provide a 'Refresh' link that reloads the current page - it's WAY less intensive than an actual refresh, as none of the JS, CSS, images etc. will be re-requested.
For what it's worth, such a link is already provided on XenForo thread pages - on the first page of the thread, just click the date in the thread description under the title, and for subsequent pages just click the page number of the current page.