XF 2.0 Need help! bounced emails

Jimmy19

Hi guys,

I ran into a bad situation but i really need some help to implement some good practices to make sure this doesnt happen again. I recently noticed I was getting a lot of bounced emails from my forum. I contacted my host and they said that microsoft has recently blacklisted my server because of the recent batch of bounced emails from one hotmail address. This came from a user who was subscribed to like 72 threads, but their hotmail address became invalid. Even though they weren't part of the conversation anymore, their email was bouncing because of the replies to the threads. My host suggested the following: #1 ban hotmail registrations. #2 I want users to have to manually watch threads instead of automatically subscribing them. How can I ban hotmail registrations? Also, what else can I do to stop massive bounced emails from happening again?

I'm generating a server log error that says this then I sent a bounced email to test
  • Zend\Mail\Protocol\Exception\RuntimeException: Bounce connection error: host doesn't allow connection

Automated Bounced Email handling just flat out didn't work for me. I used a Gmail address which supports the + signs in emails and never once got a bounced email in ACP under Bounced Emails. However, I turned this off (because I suspected it was causing delayed delivery to Gmail users since Google bulk sending guidelines suggest sending emails from the same email address - not using different reply to emails which automated bounced email handling does. Sure enough, 1) I started getting bounced emails, so the automated handling wasn't working and 2) emails to Gmail users started going though much quicker (within minutes instead days). I'm convinced automated email handling causes more issues that it solves. Just manually set users status as Bounced when you get a bounced email to the default forum email address (Which should be a valid address).

Automated Bounced Email handling just flat out didn't work for me. I used a Gmail address which supports the + signs in emails and never once got a bounced email in ACP under Bounced Emails. However, I turned this off (because I suspected it was causing delayed delivery to Gmail users since Google bulk sending guidelines suggest sending emails from the same email address - not using different reply to emails which automated bounced email handling does. Sure enough, 1) I started getting bounced emails, so the automated handling wasn't working and 2) emails to Gmail users started going though much quicker (within minutes instead days). I'm convinced automated email handling causes more issues that it solves. Just manually set users status as Bounced when you get a bounced email to the default forum email address (Which should be a valid address).

Thanks rfc0001. I was also starting to think this was more trouble than it was worth. I want to try what you are doing. Are you using the default option for your transport emails or smtp?

That's what I just went to. I was using stmp. I also didn't have a bounced email address filled in. Now I do. So, this will send a notification to the email address I have filled in here so I can manually set the user status to bounced?
I would recommend not using any bounced email (automated or not) since that changes the reply-to field to be different that the sender address. I would just use the default sender address. E.g. community@domain.com and make sure you monitor this mailbox for bounced emails and manually set the user state to Bounced (which will prevent emails from being sent and notify the user to update their email next time they login).

I would recommend not using any bounced email (automated or not) since that changes the reply-to field to be different that the sender address. I would just use the default sender address. E.g. community@domain.com and make sure you monitor this mailbox for bounced emails and manually set the user state to Bounced (which will prevent emails from being sent and notify the user to update their email next time they login).

So, the address that I fill in the field below...that is where the email will be sent when a user bounces an email address corrrect? (I turned off automatic bounce handler)

bounced.webp

Yes, but if you put an email address in that field it will add a reply-to header to your email that is different than the from header. If you don't put anything in the bounced email field it will just go to the from email address (Default email address in Email settings). I suggest leaving bounced email blank.

Last edited:
Yes, but if you put an email address in that field it will add a reply-to header to your email that is different than the from header. If you don't put anything in the bounced email field it will just go to the from email address (default email for forum listed in Board settings). I suggest leaving bounced email blank.

Ok, do you check the box that says

Set return path with -f parameter (recommended, but does not work on all servers) ?

Top Bottom