Need better understanding of image proxy function

cmeinck

I have image proxy enabled on my site. My understanding is that it will host images remotely. When I select an image that uses a third-party website, it appears to use a proxy link. I'm guessing the image is now being copied, hosted at my site.

Q: At some point, are there scripts that run and give these images a proper XF URL structure within /attachments/?

The proxy works as a proxy, it will not permanently store the images on your server as an attachment to the post that posted the link, no. It stores them on your server for a cached amount of time before refetching & redownloading the image. You will need an add-on if that is the functionality you desire.

The proxy works as a proxy, it will not permanently store the images on your server as an attachment to the post that posted the link, no. It stores them on your server for a cached amount of time before refetching & redownloading the image. You will need an add-on if that is the functionality you desire.

That clears things up a bit. If the image link breaks, the proxy image breaks. I'm trying avoid broken images from third party sites. I had been using MetaMirror, which worked well. I was thinking this could have potentially replaced it. Sounds as if it's not ideal for what I'm trying to achieve.

It won't break immediately, but when it goes to refresh the cache and the image is gone, yes, it will break the link on your site.

You can set the image proxy to cache for longer (or indefinitely), but still check for updates every so often. (If it fails, it will still serve the cached one and retry periodically until it works or finally gives up.)

Another forum software does this on a more permanent basis by default and a very interesting debate emerged in terms of 'is that violating copyright?' We came to the conclusion (all of us armchair lawyers, of course) that caching for short to medium periods (like XF does) is usually OK but permanent caching wouldn't be either under the EU directives or the DMCA (it doesn't get covered properly by Safe Harbor)

You can set the image proxy to cache for longer (or indefinitely), but still check for updates every so often. (If it fails, it will still serve the cached one and retry periodically until it works or finally gives up.)

Would it be possible to get to the post which is using that particular image from the logs? This will help us in effective moderation of images being posted on our forum.

Top Bottom