• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

XF 1.4 Need a solution to defacing

Hello XF,

My name is Jonathan and I've been with Xenforo for a good 2 and a half years. Over the last year, I have opened 2 forums which keep being defaced. They change the PAGE_CONTAINER template mainly and I wonder, how do they do this? My file permissions are not set to 077 because I know that those permissions are not safe especially for the data files. I used CPanel for those forums and I was constantly being defaced. Even if I reverted my templates, the forum was ruined. At this moment, I plan on opening a brand new forum using Nginx and a VPS. I however need help regarding the defacing issue and how I can prevent it.

If anybody could help me, it would be greatly appreciated.

Brogan

XenForo moderator
Staff member
You will need to determine how they are gaining access to the system.

It could be due to a compromised account, insecure server, other software installed on the server, shared hosting accounts, etc.

Alright, I have taken your suggestions into consideration and I am hoping to find a solution. The defacing issue is annoying and I thought that by using Nginx I'd be more secure this time around.