Need a host any suggestion?

KSA

Im looking to move to another host but would like to know the difference in performance b/t VPS and dedicated servers since I want to move from shared hosting now. I would appreciate a list of recommended providers

Thanks

Last edited:
Alot is going to depend on if you have the knowledge to run a server, or the time to learn how to run one. That will determine if you go with a managed or unmanaged plan.

Alot is going to depend on if you have the knowledge to run a server, or the time to learn how to run one. That will determine if you go with a managed or unmanaged plan.

Could expand a bit on what you mean by running a server? I have a good experience in managing through Cpanel that's all.

Im looking to move to another host but would like to know the difference in performance b/t VPS and dedicated servers since I want to move from shared hosting now. I would appreciate a list of recommended providers

Thanks

Dedicated servers have all the resources dedicated to you, and you only. A VPS is still "shared hosting" per se, in that you are sharing a server with potentially dozens or hundreds of other users. Everything is more isolated, like a dedicated server, but it is still a shared resource.

Generally speaking, the performance is going to be better on a dedicated server, but it really just depends. I've seen people move to dedicated servers only to have worse performance than the shared hosting they came from, simply because the old server had much better processors, huge drive arrays, etc.

Pick yourself up a E3 or better, with a good amount of RAM and a couple SSD drives, and your performance should be pretty good.

Reactions: KSA
No, that is nothing like maintaining a server, so you need to find a managed VPS or dedi.

I would recommend @MattW his servers and prices are really decent.

I have read some unpleasant stories I would rather look for something like inmotion, bluehost, hostgear and Godaddy.

Oh, and as far as cPanel, a lot of people act as though server management is some mysterious art form that only some elite wizards and mystics can master. It's a bunch of nonsense. You're going to notice that most managed providers actually force you to have cPanel (or another control panel) anyway. So what's the difference? They can press the update button in cPanel better than you can? There are very few managed providers who are going to take a straight linux box and manage it for you. cPanel does a very good job of taking care of most of the management aspects of a server, so long as you are proactive in applying the patches, updating cPanel, updating the server kernel and software, etc.

If you run into issues with cPanel, their support is generally very good and reasonably fast, and if you really run into issues, you could always hire your own management company by the hour or such to handle one-off tasks. I would personally recommend you hire a management firm (Rack911 is hands down the best in the industry) to set up and harden the server initially, and after that, just when needed. You're going to save yourself a lot of money that way.

Reactions: KSA
I'd also be interested to see what you have read. I'm not pushing my services, but if you have read some unpleasant stories, I'd like to see them.

As I was going through this section of the forum, found some users have reported unfortunate experiences. Im not judging or anything as I have not dealt with solo based company before, neither looking for one. My initial intention from the beginning was to get some advices on the well known hosting providers out there like the ones I mentioned above. I would like not to turn this outside the scope of the topic and I wish you all and the rest onboard here who do provide hosting services the best of luck.

found some users have reported unfortunate experiences
May I ask, is this specifically relating to me and the services I offer, or are you referring to "one man hosts" in general? I don't want to derail the thread, however, I've been tagged in here, and the post you made suggests people have bad experiences specifically with my services.

EDIT: and to add some value to the thread, dedicated server providers in the US I always recommend HiVelocity or Reliablesite. VPS providers, Linode / DigitalOcean / Vultr all have their own plus and minus points.

Pick yourself up a E3 or better, with a good amount of RAM and a couple SSD drives, and your performance should be pretty good.

This ^^

The E3 has a excellent CPU score, and the V5 and above support upto 64GB RAM.

Last edited:
May I ask, is this specifically relating to me and the services I offer, or are you referring to "one man hosts" in general? I don't want to derail the thread, however, I've been tagged in here, and the post you made suggests people have bad experiences specifically with my services.

EDIT: and to add some value to the thread, dedicated server providers in the US I always recommend HiVelocity or Reliablesite. VPS providers, Linode / DigitalOcean / Vultr all have their own plus and minus points.

This ^^

The E3 has a excellent CPU score, and the V5 and above support upto 64GB RAM.

Im referring to "one man hosts". It has nothing to do with you personally and I apologize if my post suggests otherwise.

HiVelocity seems to be leget. I think I will give it a try. Thanks for that.

On a side note folks. When migrating to a new host, the file aside from the database that needs to be moved to the new server (shared to dedicated) is only the public_html folder? or the entire home directory knowing that the rest of the folders of the home directory are already there in the new server?

.cpaddons

.cpan

.cpanel

.cpcpan

.cphorde

.cpobjcache

.fontconfig

.gnupg

.htpasswds

.HttpRequest

.MirrorSearch

.mplayer

.softaculous

.sqmailattach

.sqmaildata

.ssh

.subaccounts

.trash

bin

cache

etc

logs

mail

perl

perl5

php

public_ftp

public_html

public_html_bak

ruby

ssl

tmp

var

On a side note folks. When migrating to a new host, the file aside from the database that needs to be moved to the new server (shared to dedicated) is only the public_html folder? or the entire home directory knowing that the rest of the folders of the home directory are already there in the new server?

.cpaddons

.cpan

.cpanel

.cpcpan

.cphorde

.cpobjcache

.fontconfig

.gnupg

.htpasswds

.HttpRequest

.MirrorSearch

.mplayer

.softaculous

.sqmailattach

.sqmaildata

.ssh

.subaccounts

.trash

bin

cache

etc

logs

mail

perl

perl5

php

public_ftp

public_html

public_html_bak

ruby

ssl

tmp

var

If you're moving from one cPanel host to another, do a full backup (under backups). It will have to be restored by your new host (isn't something you can restore yourself), but it will have everything.

If you're moving from one cPanel host to another, do a full backup (under backups). It will have to be restored by your new host (isn't something you can restore yourself), but it will have everything.
Thanks lad but why would I not be able to do a simple restore through Cpanel new server?

Thanks lad but why would I not be able to do a simple restore through Cpanel new server?

You can certainly do it manually by copying/restoring the databases, and then transferring the public_html directory, but doing it using the full backup method will result in everything getting copied over...i.e. email addresses, forwarders, subdomains, databases, etc. It is a 1:1 copy of absolutely everything on your account.

Step 1: Buy DigitalOcean or Linode VPS
Step 2: Read their guides on hardening or pay someone to do it
Step 3: Install Plesk, VestaCP or cPanel (yucky)
Step 4: Setup automated mysql db and website files backup to external backup(sy) server
Step 5: Keep everything updated

Top Bottom