1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Navigation Drop Down Menu

Discussion in 'Resource and Add-on Requests' started by Shortie861, May 21, 2012.

1. Shortie861

Shortie861 Member

Hi there, I am looking for a way to be able to add my own navigation tab in that would allow a drop down, so for example

Tab name: Interactive
    Dropdown content: User Albums, Arcade etc

I have searched for something like this and so far been unsuccessful and I really would like to add in something like this as my navigation is getting a bit clogged up, not sure if I am missing anything when searching.

Any help is appreciated.

2. Matthew2D

Matthew2D Active Member

Change the red text. Add this to navigation:

<!-- interactive tab -->
    <li class="navTab forums {xen:if $tabs.find-new.selected, 'selected', 'Popup PopupControl PopupClosed'}"><a href="Your link here" class="navLink">Interactive</a>
    <a href="Your link here" class="SplitCtrl" rel="Menu"></a>

<div class="Your link here, 'tabLinks', 'Menu JsOnly tabMenu'}">
    <div class="primaryContent menuHeader">
    <div class="muted">{xen: p hrase quick_links}</div>
    <ul class="secondaryContent blockLinksList">
    <li><a href="Your Link here">Tab name here</a></li>
    <li><a href="Your link here">Tab name here</a></li>

3. Shortie861

Shortie861 Member

Hi there, thanks for this :)

I have added the code into my navigation template however I am getting this error after adding it it

The following templates contained errors and were not saved: navigation: 1)Line 76: Template syntax error.
    Is there anything that could be causing this?
  4. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

There might be a problem with this line:
    It should be something like:

<div class="{xen:if {$extraTab.selected}, 'tabLinks', 'Menu JsOnly tabMenu'}">

But probably not exactly that, just an example.

But yeah that line I quoted above probably won't work because you wouldn't put a link as a class and there's a stray } at the end of that.
  5. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

I like to use this addon to create menus:

That allows you to use link forums to create the nav items.

But in either case you still need to deal with the problem of tab selection. Creating a new tab with links doesn't make those pages select the new tab (for the purpose of consolidating your tabs). This can be messy to deal with. I have an idea to address this in the Nodes As Tabs addon but I'm still working on it. In the meantime consolidating your tabs is difficult because of tab selection.
  6. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

7. Shortie861

Shortie861 Member

Thanks for that, I tried adding that code in and it didn't seem to cure the problem, still seem to be getting the same error when I try to save.

@Jake Bunce

Am I able to use this for my own links such as being able to link to my arcade via a dropdown on the navigation?

8. Jake Bunce

Yes. The addon uses nodes to build tabs. For example, create this node structure:

Interactive (category)
    > User Albums (link forum)
    > Arcade (link forum)

The two link forums are made to link to the URLs of those respective pages. Then you can make the category (Interactive) into a tab using the Nodes As Tabs addon, complete with a popup menu for the child nodes.

The template edit works too. I just like avoiding template edits.
    Shortie861 and Yorick like this.
  9. Shortie861

Shortie861 Member

Ah cool, thanks for that I will give that a try :)
  10. Shortie861

Shortie861 Member

This has worked great :) thanks.

My only problem now is I am left with some links in the navbar and I am unable to find where they are to remove them, they are

User Albums
    Xbox Live Leaderboard

Any help is greatly appreciated :)
  11. Jake Bunce

Shortie861 likes this.
  12. Shortie861

Shortie861 Member