As designed Native vs. custom emojis

Lukas W.

Affected version
I've noticed that, while some places (BB Code areas entirely, I assume) use the custom BB Code font, other areas (such as thread titles) do not. I think this behavior creates a discrepancy where emoji style can vary greatly (such as in the case of flags). Makes me wonder if it wouldn't be better to simply only load the custom emoji style when the given device doesn't natively support them, also affecting all text on the page, while sticking with native emojis where available.

On a further note, inserting emojis via native keyboard renders them in the native font until submitted. This also appears to be slightly random from a non-technical user point of view imo.

We debated this a fair amount internally, but at this time, we are considering this intentional. It has been documented with the emoji style option since the first beta ("Note: Image emojis will only be displayed in areas which support rich text input.") and I don't recall any other feedback regarding this. It's possible we may take a different approach in the future.

However, if you want to make specific changes, we do support a templater filter which will change this ( {$var|emoji} ) on a case by case basis.

Top Bottom