Implemented Native Table Support

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
That's the reason. It's 2018 and the most users are using smartphones, a device type that does not work well with tables.
It's therefore better left as an Add-on for very specific use-cases.
HTML tables don't work on cell phones? 🤔 Also, the add-on to enable Froala table support in XF2 is one of the top 5 add-ons for XF2, so seems like a very common use case.

Last edited:
Last edited:
@Kirby Did you use Froala's table on mobile? It performs excellent on mobile. Its one of the main examples of why Froala is great.
https://www.froala.com/wysiwyg-editor/examples/table-styles
Its fully responsive and works perfectly on small screens.
Your definition of excellent and perfectly seem to be vastly different from mine ;)

Screenshot_20180813-231148_Chrome.webp

This is a screenshot taken form my Galaxy S9.

As you can easily see, the table requires horizontal scrollbars already at just 4 columns.
That's what I call unusable - tables simply don't work on mobile, don't use them :)

Yeah, now type some text into the columns until there is enough text in each column to fully occupy 1 row at 100% screen width ... you won't t be able to type in much before a horizontal scrollbar becomes necessary.

And that's the whole point - tables on mobile only work acceptable for very small tables; for any table worth its's size scrollbars are required which makes it pretty difficult to read them.

The addon does much, much more than just tables, not everyone that has/is using that addon is using it because of table support.

Yeah, now type some text into the columns until there is enough text in each column to fully occupy 1 row at 100% screen width ... you won't t be able to type in much before a horizontal scrollbar becomes necessary.

And that's the whole point - tables on mobile only work acceptable for very small tables; for any table worth its's size scrollbars are required which makes it pretty difficult to read them.
While you have a point there, the Froala editor works much better for tables on small devices than other editors or table code I have seen so far.

I did take up your suggestion and actually recreated a rather large table with 8 columns, many rows, nested links, pics, etc. Froala was able to display it correctly without scrollbar down to 600px which is fine for any tablet or a flipped iPhone. Between 320 and 590 there is a scrollbar. While a scrollbar is not optimal it does respond well enough. I would be really happy with Froala tables to replace the DataTables we now have.

While you have a point there, the Froala editor works much better for tables on small devices than other editors or table code I have seen so far.
Actually it was a major pain to create that screenshot.

The editor scrolled down below the virtual keyboard every time I typed a character and I had to scroll up again to see what I typed, that was really annoying and time consuming - I probably would have to be somewhat masochistic to happily use that unless I absolutely have to, lol.

But yes, it did work.

Last edited:
Yes, indeed. Setting up a complex table is best done on desktop or tablet. Any complex editor action as well as the use of bbcode is a drag on a small mobile screen.

Reading the table however, works well on mobile IMHO.

Yes, indeed. Setting up a complex table is best done on desktop or tablet. Any complex editor action as well as the use of bbcode is a drag on a small mobile screen.

Reading the table however, works well on mobile IMHO.
Exactly...tables are good for content. Editing any content is best done on a PC. Whereas viewing content can be done on mobile device or PC.

I would also point out content add-ons are some of the other top add-ons (e.g. XenPorta in XF2, CTA in XF1). Point is there are a lot of sites that blend content with discussions about that content. Content is the Achilles heel of XF IMO. Right now you have to use a combination of an article management add-on to host the content, SEO add-on to properly index the content, and editor tools to create the content including tables. It would be great if XF 3.x focused on integrating rich content out of the box.

Oh what a day, what a lovely day!

Here it is!

giphy.gif

Took four years but better late than never. Thanks!

giphy.gif

Top Bottom