1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

namecheap hosting plan with subfolder for main domain

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by bogus, May 30, 2012.

1. bogus

bogus Guest

Well, i dont know if this is the correct forum for my question.

I just purchased a hostig plan from namecheap with one domain.

To keep the overview for the main domain and 2 more addon domains, I use subfolders within the so-called "public html" folder.

No one from namecheap support could really help me but i dont want to upload my xenforo into the "public html" folder, i would like to use a subfolder for my main domain too.

From what i see in the cpanel setup options there is nothing to point the main URL to any subfolders.
    Instead it looks like i have to use the .htaccess thats located into the "public html" folder to redirect the main url to a subfolder with and without www.

Well, i am looking for someone who can help me with how a htaccess has to look like to redirect, eg.: mydomain.com to /public_html/myfolder

Thanks a lot
  2. CurveGotti

CurveGotti Active Member

There are quite a few ways to do it, probably the easiest way on a shared server is to create a blank html document in the root called index.html then add a line to htaccess
    Redirect /index.html http://www.YOURDOMAIN.com/YOURSUBDOMAINFOLDER/
  3. bogus

bogus Guest

At the end i came up with the idea to redirect none www to www.
    I really just know a bit about mod rewrite and thats what i have till now. Still not sure if i´ve done it correctly
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine on
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^([a-z.]+)?mydomain\.org$ [NC]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^www\. [NC]
    RewriteRule .? http://www.%1mydomain.org%{REQUEST_URI} [R=301,L]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !myfolder/
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ myfolder/$1 [L]
    The problem i have is, if not all Files are uploaded i do get the directory listing.

Edit: I added a subdomain to mydomain.org which is included into the redirect but shouldn't