Mysqli statement execute error problem on Dreamhost

So an update. After trying everything, I finally worked with a friend who is comfortable with Linux stuff to create a DreamCompute instance. We installed Debian on it and then a recent build of MySQL. Imported the database and switched to this server. And I had no issues yesterday.

This is their cheapest computing instance. Costs around USD 10 per month (which is still 66% of the cost of a VPS which is completely managed by them). It has access to one CPU, 1GB of RAM and 80GB storage. I am barely using 300MB RAM at full load. Though running a mysqldump or sql import command pretty much eats up all available resources.

I plan to continue using this solution as long as it works. Meanwhile I would keep my eyes on something better.

But now one thing is clear… There is something wrong with Dreamhost MySQL servers.

PS. I am running the default MySQL configuration. If anyone has any advice on some basic settings that I should modify to suit XenForo, that would be cool. Thanks!

We are on Dreamhost also. Same as you, managed VPS but shared MySQL server. If you are willing to pay more money, you can sign up for VPS MySQL.

We have been seeing this same error you are having since end of July. We've had a lot of problems that are MySQL related and Dreamhost always insists it isn't their problem. I've gone a few rounds with them trying to get them to either fix the problem or move us, they insist the problem is our application.

Our solution is that we are changing hosts. :)

wswd is who we are going with. The site owner and I decided it would be best to go with a host that knows Xenforo, which Dreamhost doesn't. Neither of us have strong knowledge on server administration but wswd has been wonderful about helping us over those hurdles. They've given us more help in 2 weeks than Dreamhost did in 2 years.

Alright! I would keep them in mind if I decide to move on! Right now, running a DreamCompute instance is working great. And the combined cost is still lower than most VPS options I have found on other hosts.

Top Bottom