Mysqli statement execute error : Got a packet bigger than 'max_allowed_packet' bytes

Maleko

I have been importing some new styles, then on some of them I get this when trying to import:

Server Error

Mysqli statement execute error : Got a packet bigger than 'max_allowed_packet' bytes
  1. Zend_Db_Statement_Mysqli->_execute() in Zend/Db/Statement.php at line 297
  2. Zend_Db_Statement->execute() in Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php at line 479
  3. Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->query() in XenForo/Model/DataRegistry.php at line 164
  4. XenForo_Model_DataRegistry->set() in XenForo/Model/Style.php at line 434
  5. XenForo_Model_Style->rebuildStyleCache() in XenForo/DataWriter/Style.php at line 171
  6. XenForo_DataWriter_Style->_rebuildCache() in XenForo/DataWriter/Style.php at line 162
  7. XenForo_DataWriter_Style->_postSave() in XenForo/DataWriter.php at line 1385
  8. XenForo_DataWriter->save() in XenForo/Model/StyleProperty.php at line 699
  9. XenForo_Model_StyleProperty->updatePropertyCacheInStyle() in XenForo/Model/StyleProperty.php at line 632
  10. XenForo_Model_StyleProperty->rebuildPropertyCacheInStyleAndChildren() in XenForo/DataWriter/Style.php at line 155
  11. XenForo_DataWriter_Style->_postSave() in XenForo/DataWriter.php at line 1385
  12. XenForo_DataWriter->save() in XenForo/Model/Style.php at line 527
  13. XenForo_Model_Style->importStyleXml() in XenForo/ControllerAdmin/Style.php at line 181
  14. XenForo_ControllerAdmin_Style->actionImport() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 310
  15. XenForo_FrontController->dispatch() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 132
  16. XenForo_FrontController->run() in /home/oldsscom/domains/old-skool-gamers.com/public_html/admin.php at line 13
!!!!????

FYI, "max_allowed_packet" is a MySQL setting. Your host or server person can increase that limit to avoid this error. Or in your case you shortened the data to avoid the error which works too, but normally you would increase the setting in the MySQL configuration.

This has got interesting...

it started doing it again when uploading the new styles...

I got onto the host and they increased the limit from 1MB to 5MB temporarily, then when they turned it back down any SQL request now gives that error! Even when updating simple things in the style settings, this happens on all new and old styles.

I asked them about it again to which they responded:

"you must be doing something different. I cannot allow such large request though because i was monitoring the cpu usage when you did before and it shot up from 20% to 60% which is unreasonable"

Now I have no idea what to do...

Cache rebuilds may generate some large queries, but it's only during the rebuild. It's very temporary. We aren't talking about persistent high load here. If resource limits on your server won't let you get through the cache rebuilds in XenForo then that is a problem. You may have to upgrade to a better server.

Cache rebuilds may generate some large queries, but it's only during the rebuild. It's very temporary. We aren't talking about persistent high load here. If resource limits on your server won't let you get through the cache rebuilds in XenForo then that is a problem. You may have to upgrade to a better server.

Yeah, I have looked at another host that I use for other sites and they have 10MB packets...maybe time for a move...

What could be the reason behind the fact we can't even update minor changes?

Like wanting to change the style logo location via style properties also causes the error.

What could be the reason behind the fact we can't even update minor changes?

Like wanting to change the style logo location via style properties also causes the error.

Because it's exceeding the limit imposed by your host. It rebuilds the cache and generates a query larger than the max_allowed_packet size.

Top Bottom