MySQL Tuning

LPH

Hi,

I'm having a heck of a time. I've put this off because of more important issues but now I'm fussing :)

The sites are hosted on a digital ocean droplet - Ubuntu. Sadly the TTFB is very poor - some times up to 5 seconds. After changing plugins and skins, Pingdom tools is showing the wait time now around 1.5 seconds but it can increase to over 5 seconds.

Besides MySQL Tuner - what tools are available to figure out why the wait time is so long. After all, many sites are 300 ms and mine are up to ten times that ....

Any suggestions?

phpMyAdmin Monitor-1500.webp

phpMyAdmin Monitor All Status Variables.webp

phpMyAdmin Monitor Graphs.webp

phpMyAdmin Monitor - Queries.webp

phpMyAdmin Monitor - Live Queries.webp

Last edited:
First of all check for slow queries.

After that check the database with the tuning primer skript and post the output here:

https://launchpad.net/mysql-tuning-primer

TTFB will probably be an issue with the web server rather than MySQL...

Thank you both for replying.

Slow Query log reads as follows:

Code:
# Query_time: 2.289339  Lock_time: 0.000096 Rows_sent: 1  Rows_examined: 1931
SET timestamp=1386917415;
/*!50000 SELECT IFNULL(SUM(DATA_LENGTH),0) from information_schema.TABLES where ENGINE='InnoDB' */;

The tuner script suggested an increase in table_definition_cache to 2048 but otherwise all else was fine.

I can test a simple html file and it is returned in ms but the index.php is 2 seconds.

@LPH - I've been looking at transferring my site over to DigitalOcean. How good would you say their services are?

I'm very satisfied with Digital Oceans.

My answer is not a powerful - awesome - because your happiness depends on your own knowledge and willingness to learn.

The first few months were rough because I really didn't have time to read and learn. However, I took the time this past week to create and destroy numerous droplets so that I could learn how to manage certain tasks. I messed up many times ! PST ... don't use zpanel.

The Digital Ocean articles are well written and the community is fast with answers. In fact, between here, StackOverflow, and Digital Ocean I was able to get NGINX installed and configured.

The Digital Ocean support team answers tickets quickly. I had a few moments of head scratching with their 'console' and it's just better to open terminal on a Mac or use Putty or MobaXterm ....

Anyway, things are not optimized but discovering the slow TTFB helped push me to make the change away from Apache.

More important, the changes I've been making are starting to improve the load time, bring in traffic again, and start to get better SEO.

I have not seen this type of layout in Google in years ;)

Screen Shot 2013-12-18 at 1.58.27 PM.webp

Hope this helps you.

I must be doing my SEO right somehow, because explicit and high-probability searches on Google for my own site result in that level of results.

I'm tempted to start running tests on DO soon. @LPH - Would you be able to tell me what droplet configuration you're using to run your production site on? RAM, CPUs, etc. and if you're load-balancing between multiple droplets?

Hi,

I'm having a heck of a time. I've put this off because of more important issues but now I'm fussing :)

The sites are hosted on a digital ocean droplet - Ubuntu. Sadly the TTFB is very poor - some times up to 5 seconds. After changing plugins and skins, Pingdom tools is showing the wait time now around 1.5 seconds but it can increase to over 5 seconds.

Besides MySQL Tuner - what tools are available to figure out why the wait time is so long. After all, many sites are 300 ms and mine are up to ten times that ....

Any suggestions?

View attachment 62848

View attachment 62847

View attachment 62849

View attachment 62850

View attachment 62851

what tools did you use for these graphs?

I'm very satisfied with Digital Oceans.

My answer is not a powerful - awesome - because your happiness depends on your own knowledge and willingness to learn.

The first few months were rough because I really didn't have time to read and learn. However, I took the time this past week to create and destroy numerous droplets so that I could learn how to manage certain tasks. I messed up many times ! PST ... don't use zpanel.

The Digital Ocean articles are well written and the community is fast with answers. In fact, between here, StackOverflow, and Digital Ocean I was able to get NGINX installed and configured.

The Digital Ocean support team answers tickets quickly. I had a few moments of head scratching with their 'console' and it's just better to open terminal on a Mac or use Putty or MobaXterm ....

Anyway, things are not optimized but discovering the slow TTFB helped push me to make the change away from Apache.

More important, the changes I've been making are starting to improve the load time, bring in traffic again, and start to get better SEO.

I have not seen this type of layout in Google in years ;)

View attachment 63290

Hope this helps you.
@LPH - Just curious, how did you land that Google page, searching your sites URL direct or a specific key word referencing your sites content?

@LPH - Just curious, how did you land that Google page, searching your sites URL direct or a specific key word referencing your sites content?

Vanity searches really don't do much for traffic except make one feel good :)

I simply put in the domain name. Cheesy but always interesting to see how a SERP is built. For example, I dislike that Google promotes sites which "evaluate" another website above that particular website. They really need to clean up their algorithm ... but ... that is another story.

Top Bottom