1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion in 'Server Configuration and Hosting' started by dutchbb, Sep 8, 2015.

1. dutchbb

dutchbb Well-Known Member

Hi I read XF uses InnoDB for the database, yet in phpMyAdmin the type shows MyISAM?
  2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

3. dutchbb

Hm.. it's mostly MyISAM and a few Memory. This is what I run

Server version: 5.5.38-0ubuntu0.14.04.1
    MySQL client version: 5.5.38

I thought InnoDB is supported since v5.5? Should I upgrade the server before installing/importing XF for the production site?
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  4. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

Tracy Perry likes this.
  5. dutchbb

Thanks. My webhosts said that with the version of MySQL I'm using (libmysql - 5.5.38), innodb is not well supported and should not be the default.

He recommended Mariadb 10 for better support.

Another thing, I removed 'skip_innodb' from my.cnf and installed XF again. It still created MyISAM tables. I guess for now I just use that database.
  6. RoldanLT

RoldanLT Well-Known Member

default-storage-engine = InnoDB
  7. Snog

Snog Well-Known Member

8. dutchbb

For some reason not on my server :s
  9. Fred.

Fred. Well-Known Member

If you go to the engines tab in phpMyAdmin do you see InnoDB listed in there?
  10. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

Most likely because they have
    default-storage-engine = MyISAM
    in the my.cnf. As @RoldanLT indicated - change it to InnoDB and restart the mysql service. If you use CentMin Mod, I noticed that it ships with the my.cnf using MyISAM as the default engine via the my.cnf.
    dutchbb likes this.
  11. eva2000

eva2000 Well-Known Member

12. dutchbb

Yeah correct, my old host probably set that.
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  13. Tracy Perry

Yeah, but then you get those like me who run Wordpress, IPS 4, MyBB, XenForo, CopperMine Gallery, and a few other things that don't look for a specific setup for CentMin since we run several on one system. :p
  14. eva2000

yeah got that covered in Getting Started Guide Step 11 :) ;)
  15. Tracy Perry

16. eva2000

Tracy Perry likes this.
  17. ForumCube

ForumCube Active Member

Directly moving to MariaDB 10 not sounds like a good idea. If you're currently using MySQL 5.5.38 then you should move to MariaDB 5.5.x. As that would be just drop-in replacement. You can upgrade to MariaDB 10 in afterwards.
  18. Induslady

Induslady Member

We run a cron to MySQL dump all DBs in our server. Recently during the time this cron is running, our host noticed that there were locked tables in our XF database that caused all Apache connections to fill-up.

So hosting is recommending to convert all tables using MyISAM to InnoDB, they are:
    |xf_search_index | MyISAM |
    | xf_session | MyISAM |
    | xf_session_admin | MyISAM |

We are running MySQL 5.6, that allows InnoDB engines to support Full Indexes. So they are asking to convert all MyISAM tables to InnoDB and leave those memory tables as it is.

1. Is it ok to convert all tables using MyISAM to InnoDB?
    2. Other than support for full indexes, is there any other need to have them use MyISAM?
    3. Can the conversion from MyISAM to InnoDB happen when the community is up and running?

@Brogan , I sent a conversation about the same. Please revert. Thank you
  19. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

InnoDB full text search has different behaviour to MyISAM full text search.
    We can't recommend changing the table types and can only officially support the (default) MyISAM-based search.

For future reference, I don't provide support via conversation.
    Support requests should be posted in the relevant forum or via ticket.
    RoldanLT likes this.
  20. Induslady

Induslady Member

Thank you for your response.

If I cannot change table types, are there options to backup the MyISAM tables (using Mysqldump) without locking the tables for long?