MyBB vs VB?

Gabby

Ok folks. It is well known that Mybb looks quite similiar to VB, however, after testing extensively today, I realized just how similiar it is. My goodness, it's almost identical in words as well.

So can someone tell me why VB isn't suing MyBB? I mean even their phrases almost exactly the same.

Crazy.

Lack of a challenge to their bottom line. XF presents a larger challenge and threat. It's only my opinion, but that, along with the fact that (as far as I know, and my experience with Mybb is limited), Mybb is opensource and free (thus limiting ability to go after them as commercial competitors), if why IB is not/cannot sue Mybb.

Just my thoughts.

I imagine if XenForo had been free open source... Chances are high that they wouldn't have been targeted by Internet Brands. XenForo sure would have cornered the market though in a hurry.... I mean can you imagine if XenForo had been free and everyone could use it and help develop the current code?

When I experimented with myBB it didn't have friendly URLs. vB4 does. IB is going after xenForo because they claim the creators of XenForo stole development tools and sales contacts to form xenForo so that's a totally different reason from going after a company just because the software has a lot in common. Imitation is allowed in the marketplace. Just look at the isle in ya local grocery store for example.

Yeah, pretty sure MyBB still has the vBulletin database schema, and the code is still kinda similar.

Difference between MyBB and VB? Truthfully, just that MyBB is free and lacks the community and the amount of features.

When I experimented with myBB it didn't have friendly URLs. vB4 does. IB is going after xenForo because they claim the creators of XenForo stole development tools and sales contacts to form xenForo so that's a totally different reason from going after a company just because the software has a lot in common. Imitation is allowed in the marketplace. Just look at the isle in ya local grocery store for example.

I still don't understand the "sales contacts" issue. This must be at the corporate level because I left VB well over 1.5 years ago and had never been contacted by any person from XF. In fact, I've never seen any XF adverstising. I found XF looking for a VB4 skin designer's site because I actually thought I was going to take the plunge at renew. What the flock was I thinking? Funny how things work out. Thank you skin designer!

Yeah, pretty sure MyBB still has the vBulletin database schema, and the code is still kinda similar.

Difference between MyBB and VB? Truthfully, just that MyBB is free and lacks the community and the amount of features.

Mybb has a huge communinty and ton of add-ons. All the ad-ons you would want, and all the add-ons I've seen at VB. I think mybb is a good product but my version was buggy. For tech goofballs like me, mybb is more admin friendly than any software out there.

I still don't understand the "sales contacts" issue. This must be at the corporate level because I left VB well over 1.5 years ago and had never been contacted by any person from XF. In fact, I've never seen any XF adverstising. I found XF looking for a VB4 skin designer's site because I actually thought I was going to take the plunge at renew. What the flock was I thinking? Funny how things work out. Thank you skin designer!
lol You gotta read about it in California Court Case thread. Those IB lawyers are pretty lame.

When was this? Googled it, didn't see anything.
Probably in LCF or another non-public forum at vB.com. I post from memory, I have no idea where it is now sorry.

Before, the code was near identical. After, it became less so.

When was this? Googled it, didn't see anything.
Early on, back in the pre-1.0 releases, IIRC. Some of the code was flat out lifted from vB and they ultimately had to change/rewrite portions of MyBB to avoid a full lawsuit.

I've used MyBB, it's quite good for freeware. But I still prefer vB for various reasons, and I would always choose that over MyBB.

Ah I feel so sorry for the Mybb guys. Can you imagine how stressful this must be for them.

All I can say is..

Finish it old school boys, finish it old school.

Top Bottom